I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.

  • Derek Collison at Oct 18, 2013 at 11:21 pm
    Here is the Go client that can be used. https://github.com/apcera/nats
    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Ryan Smith at Oct 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm
    Thanks for sharing. Just out of curiosity, what is the problem that NATS
    solves? I wasn't able to find this info in the docs of the Ruby project or
    the Go project. Is there a blog post that explains your motivations? Also,
    does this technology compare with other open source projects? Finally, what
    makes Gnatsd high performance? I didn't see any benchmark code in the
    source tree, so it is hard to understand what high performance means in
    this context.
    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Wayne E. Seguin at Oct 20, 2013 at 2:46 am
    Derek,

    I'd be interested in hearing the answers to Ryan Smith's questions.

    Additionally, is the whole project licensed MIT or just the README? The
    reason I ask is because the comment headers in each source file seem
    contradictory to the README.

    Thanks!!!

       ~Wayne

  • Derek Collison at Oct 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm
    The code is all MIT licensed, copyright Apcera Inc.
    I'd be interested in hearing the answers to Ryan Smith's questions.

    Additionally, is the whole project licensed MIT or just the README? The
    reason I ask is because the comment headers in each source file seem
    contradictory to the README.

    Thanks!!!

    ~Wayne
  • Aram Compeau at Oct 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm
    Awesome, thanks for opening sourcing it!

    Cheers,

    Aram

  • ChrisLu at Oct 23, 2013 at 1:14 am
    How the gnatsd cluster works? And maybe a stretch question here: Let's say
    I have a cluster of nodes, can I embed gnatsd to each node and let them
    communicate by pub/sub, making it a headless group communication library?

    Chris
    The code is all MIT licensed, copyright Apcera Inc.
    I'd be interested in hearing the answers to Ryan Smith's questions.

    Additionally, is the whole project licensed MIT or just the README? The
    reason I ask is because the comment headers in each source file seem
    contradictory to the README.

    Thanks!!!

    ~Wayne
  • Derek Collison at Oct 23, 2013 at 1:33 am
    In general you want a few servers, say 2-5. They need to be configured in a
    full-mesh setup, although solicitation can be one-way.

    How the gnatsd cluster works? And maybe a stretch question here: Let's say
    I have a cluster of nodes, can I embed gnatsd to each node and let them
    communicate by pub/sub, making it a headless group communication library?

    Chris

    The code is all MIT licensed, copyright Apcera Inc.
    I'd be interested in hearing the answers to Ryan Smith's questions.

    Additionally, is the whole project licensed MIT or just the README? The
    reason I ask is because the comment headers in each source file seem
    contradictory to the README.

    Thanks!!!

    ~Wayne
  • Pradeep at Mar 22, 2015 at 5:50 am
    Is support for SSL available for server?.
    The cluster algorithm is also fire and forget and does not do acks, so
    outside of TCP issues with latency and its effect on bandwidth, should be
    fine.

    On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Ray Qiu <ray...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
    Should one put Gnatsd cluster nodes spanning multiple data centers that
    are connected over WAN, would it be a problem? Is there any latency
    requirement? Thanks!

    In general you want a few servers, say 2-5. They need to be configured
    in a full-mesh setup, although solicitation can be one-way.

    How the gnatsd cluster works? And maybe a stretch question here: Let's
    say I have a cluster of nodes, can I embed gnatsd to each node and let them
    communicate by pub/sub, making it a headless group communication library?

    Chris

    The code is all MIT licensed, copyright Apcera Inc.
    I'd be interested in hearing the answers to Ryan Smith's questions.

    Additionally, is the whole project licensed MIT or just the README?
    The reason I ask is because the comment headers in each source file seem
    contradictory to the README.

    Thanks!!!

    ~Wayne
  • Derek Collison at Mar 22, 2015 at 4:33 pm
    Not at this time, although it is on the TODO list. And we accept PRs. ;)
[...]

  • Derek Collison at Oct 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm
    Ryan,

    I have been building messaging systems for around 20yrs, previously doing
    work at TIBCO on Rendezvous and EMS.

    NATS is the result, in principle, of my changing thoughts on what messaging
    systems should be. This is not an enterprise messaging system, like
    RabbitMQ, or even EMS which I built in the past.

    NATS does not have persistence, or transactions. It is more like a nervous
    system, and it will protect itself at all costs. It does publish/subscribe,
    and distributed queues. One of my nits is that queues are an
    interest/subscribe operation, not a publish operation. NATS can mix and
    match these models at will. The other speciality is around patterns of
    asking questions to an unknown group size who can potentially answer. NATS
    has built in primitives to actively prune the interest graph during the
    receipt of answers, which offloads the clients from large unpredictable cpu
    spikes when throwing away messages.

    Here is a quora answer that may be useful as
    well, http://www.quora.com/Cloud-Foundry/Why-does-CloudFoundry-use-NATS-a-specially-written-messaging-system-whereas-OpenStack-uses-AMQP.

    In terms of benchmarks for gnatsd, run the following.

    go test --bench="." -run="zzz"

    Cheers,
    =derek

[...]

  • Derek Collison at Oct 21, 2013 at 12:31 am

    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Aram Compeau at Oct 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm
    Awesome, thanks for open sourcing it!

    Cheers,

    Aram

  • Anoop K at Oct 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    Hi Derek,

    I was reading gnatsd source code. I have a question related to sublist.go
    and concurrency. sublist is a global shared data structure on which
    operations like Insert, Match, Remove etc happen concurrently (during each
    publish/subscribe). These operations are protected by a mutex and as a
    result only one (mostly) of the operation can happen at a time.

    For these use cases (shared data-structure access in a multi-core system)
    does mutex offer better performance than serializing all operations to this
    data-structure by using a goroutine, channels and msgs (erlang style).
    Are there any performance analysis done on this topic ?

    Thanks
    Anoop
    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Derek Collison at Oct 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    For this instance, yes mutexes offer better performance than channels and
    msgs. In general one should use the built-in concurrency models offered by
    Go, but I was going for extreme performance.

[...]

  • Anoop K at Oct 22, 2013 at 7:16 pm
    Will performance(mutex approach) gets affected as the number of cores and
    concurrent clients increases due to lock contention ?

    Thanks
    Anoop

    On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Derek Collison
[...]

  • Derek Collison at Oct 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm
    Yes, logically. gnatsd currently does not suffer from performance on
    subject distribution in general. I have looked into some exotic lock free
    structures to replace the sublist with, but not needed at this point.

    On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Derek Collison <derek.collison@gmail.com
[...]

  • Lei Zhang at Oct 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    Good job, derek! So we should use the cluster branch of Ruby NATS client,
    right?
    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Derek Collison at Oct 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    Yes, use the Ruby nats client from the cluster branch with gnatsd. Gnatsd
    does not support TLS/SSL at this point, but all else should work today. Let
    me know if you have any issues.

    Good job, derek! So we should use the cluster branch of Ruby NATS client,
    right?

    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Resouer at Oct 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    Good job derek, so we should use the Ruby nats client of cluster branch,
    right?
    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Resouer at Oct 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    Good job from derek! So we should use the cluster branch of Ruby NATS
    client, right?
    I am pleased to announce that we have open-sourced our high-performance
    NATS server, gnatsd. The server is licensed under the MIT license, and
    hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/apcera/gnatsd>.

    The NATS messaging system has gained global appeal as a tool for building
    distributed platforms and cloud-based systems. While not a traditional
    enterprise messaging system, it is very well suited to being the
    appropriate backplane for a new style of platform architectures.
  • Derek Collison at Oct 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    Yes, correct.