I've been seeing an occasional panic in an application I am developing.
This is the output:

panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal 0xb code=0x1 addr=0x0 pc=0x4939b]
goroutine 1 [syscall]:
syscall.Syscall()
     /usr/local/go/src/pkg/syscall/asm_darwin_amd64.s:15 0+0x5

Not more... It is today the first time I see this panic, and it happened 3
times in an hour. I have not seen it happening before, and I have run this
program for weeks continuously.
I can't reproduce it. It happens in a program that continually reads laser
distance sensor data via a USN serial adapter, so it doesn't make much
sense to post my sources somewhere because the program can't be run as is.

I'm a bit stressed because in a few days the robot I am developing
(controlled by Go software) will have to run unattended for almost two
weeks. All testing worked well up to these few panics today :( Maybe I can
intercept and handle the panic in some way, but since I can't reproduce it,
I can't really test the code I write to handle it...

Any hints?
The machine is running Go 1.1.1. Does 1.1.2 have fixes related to syscall
panics?

  • Dave Cheney at Sep 12, 2013 at 12:39 am
    Can you please supply the entire panic message.
[...]

  • Dave Cheney at Sep 12, 2013 at 12:41 am
    If that is the entire panic message, can you please post the source, a
    static analysis may reveal some issues.