Backstory
=======
I'm working on some nice enhancements to the fsnotify package, extracting
some features from Looper (recursive watcher) and Andrea Fazzi's
PrettyAutoTest (throttled watcher), and adding a few other pipeline steps
for filtering and logging. Before I start to code these in earnest, I would
like to ensure that my changes don't break the build on any of the
supported platforms (Windows, Linux, BSD, and OS X via build tags).

Vagrant to the rescue.
================
Vagrant supports multiple host OSes (I'm on OS X) and provides SSH to run
commands (like "go test ./...") against multiple machines running inside
VirtualBox, as well as logging in to try things out by hand.

I've been having trouble getting all this setup, particularly getting
working boxes for BSD and Windows, and getting an appropriate environment
setup to run and test Go. If anyone has more experience creating boxes, or
is willing to help out, or just offer some tips, please voice your interest
on the relevant issue on GitHub:

https://github.com/howeyc/fsnotify/issues/59

Longer term
=========
I hope we can come up with something that is useful for the continued
development of fsnotify and any other Go project that supports multiple
operating systems, and I'm already thinking of how to use Vagrant SSH
commands in Looper to automate testing across platforms.

Thanks a bunch,
Nathan.

  • Lusis Org at Sep 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    I would highly suggest taking a look at packer
    (https://github.com/mitchellh/packer) for building your baseboxes.
    Alternately you can use the non-VirtualBox providers (rackspace, aws,
    digitalocean) for boxes that you don't want to/can't build locally. It
    would slow down the testing on those particular platforms as you're waiting
    on the provider but you can trigger those independently if you want (and
    would have to since you can't mix and match providers in a single vagrant
    up)

    Side benefit, packer is written in Go so you should have no problem fixing
    any problems you run into ;)