On the road to better dependency management for Go, there are several
things we (package maintainers) can do today to improve the lives of our
fellow gophers, while also enabling better tooling.

http://nathany.com/os-release/

This article covers:

* Tagging releases in Git, Mercurial and Bazaar
* Writing a Changelog, Readme and Contributing document
* Choosing an open source license
* Seeing what's out there, contributing to other packages

There is also a five question survey. I'll close the survey and tally the
results on September 14, 2013.

Nathan

  • Gerard at Sep 2, 2013 at 6:08 am
    Very good and thorough analysis. However, I noticed that tar (tgz/tbz2)
    isn't mentioned. And, altough for some tar isn't 2013, I think it's a very
    good method of versioning / archiving software. And besides that, if you
    use a README then you can note that your.lib.x.y.z.tar.gz depends on
    external.lib.x.y.z.tar.gz. Is there a reason for not mentioning it?
    On the road to better dependency management for Go, there are several
    things we (package maintainers) can do today to improve the lives of our
    fellow gophers, while also enabling better tooling.

    http://nathany.com/os-release/

    This article covers:

    * Tagging releases in Git, Mercurial and Bazaar
    * Writing a Changelog, Readme and Contributing document
    * Choosing an open source license
    * Seeing what's out there, contributing to other packages

    There is also a five question survey. I'll close the survey and tally the
    results on September 14, 2013.

    Nathan

  • Nathan Youngman at Sep 2, 2013 at 6:27 am
    There are three reasons:

    1. I don't personally use tar.gz archives of my code.
    2. I can't possibly mention everything. It's a blog post, not a book.
    3. Now you have something to blog about.

    Nathan.

    Email: nj@nathany.com
    Web: http://www.nathany.com