I was just wondering how good the Go Random number generator is at
generating random numbers, in terms of their quality in emulating pure
randomness. Doing some hunting, it seems like it's a Lagged Fibonacci RNG,
but I'm having trouble finding any analysis of the quality of the numbers.
Thanks.

  • Jan Mercl at Jul 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm

    I was just wondering how good the Go Random number generator is at
    generating random numbers, in terms of their quality in emulating pure
    randomness. Doing some hunting, it seems like it's a Lagged Fibonacci RNG,
    but I'm having trouble finding any analysis of the quality of the numbers.
    You can check it for example by the NIST Statistical Test Suite[0].
    For a sample/comparison run, see e.g. [1].

       [0]: http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/rng/documentation_software.html
       [1]: https://github.com/cznic/mathutil/blob/master/nist-sts-2-1-1-report

    -j

  • Caleb Spare at Jul 25, 2013 at 6:18 am
    Which random number generator? There's math/rand and crypto/rand which, as
    you can probably guess, have different intended uses.

    -Caleb
    I was just wondering how good the Go Random number generator is at
    generating random numbers, in terms of their quality in emulating pure
    randomness. Doing some hunting, it seems like it's a Lagged Fibonacci RNG,
    but I'm having trouble finding any analysis of the quality of the numbers.
    Thanks.
  • Brendan Tracey at Jul 25, 2013 at 7:06 am
    I was mostly interested in math/rand, sorry for not specifying
    Which random number generator? There's math/rand and crypto/rand which, as
    you can probably guess, have different intended uses.

    -Caleb
    I was just wondering how good the Go Random number generator is at
    generating random numbers, in terms of their quality in emulating pure
    randomness. Doing some hunting, it seems like it's a Lagged Fibonacci RNG,
    but I'm having trouble finding any analysis of the quality of the numbers.
    Thanks.
  • Lee Etceterology at Jul 30, 2013 at 1:02 pm
    math.random passes dieharder on my machine.