I would want to write an application with a GUI, without using an external
C or C++ library, or an external Go package that depends on a C/C++
library. And I want it to run on any platform that runs Go. What are the
options?

I have tried linking with gtk, and it works, but is not portable to other
platforms. And gtk itself has a lot of external dependencies with
versioning problems. I would want to use a C library, if it was self
contained, runs on all platforms, and I could package it with my Go
application. Gtk clearly is not a valid candidate for this. Is Tk an
option? With Python, it 's included in the standard library, so including
Tk would be possible in principle, but at what effort? Are there other
candidates?

Another solutions is to use a web browser as the front end. This would have
the advantage that it could use largely the same techniques as true web
applications. But it would require processing in the browser as well. Html
+ css + javascript. AngularJS seems quite capable, but it's not easy.

What Javascript library would you use?

What existing Go projects/packages would you recommend?

  • André Moraes at Jul 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm
    Pure Go:

    github.com/skelterjohn/go.wde and go.uik
[...]

    http://amoraes.info

  • Miki Tebeka at Jul 23, 2013 at 10:43 pm
    One option is for your application to be a web server and use
    HTML+Javascript. Then launch a browser at the web server.
    (You can also look into tools like XULRunner with this approach).
[...]

  • Brainman at Jul 24, 2013 at 12:04 am
    github.com/lxn/walk

    Windows only, but other then that should fit your requirements.

    Alex