I and Jeff Lindsay are looking for sponsors to help build an open source platform as a service powered by Docker.

Flynn focuses on providing modular platform building blocks that can be reused and replaced. It also provides an API that can granularly orchestrate containerized services across a cluster, allowing for custom real-world deployment strategies.

Take a look at https://flynn.io for more details.

Please reply off-list if your company is interested in sponsoring the project or you would like to know more.

Jonathan

  • Sergey Koulikov at Jul 18, 2013 at 5:19 am
    Looks promising. What are the main differences between Flynn and Tsuru?

    http://www.tsuru.io/
    https://github.com/globocom/tsuru

  • Jonathan at Jul 19, 2013 at 1:11 am
    - A very flexible API that can be used to orchestrate containers across a
    cluster, allowing the composition of advanced use cases. For example, you
    could build a continuous integration/deployment system that executed each
    test run in a container and then promotes the new image to production if
    the tests pass.

    - (optional) Heroku buildpack support out of the box, so application
    deploys are completely language/framework agnostic.

    - Self-hosting; most of the Flynn services will be inside of Docker
    containers.

    - Containerized backing services; PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc will be fully
    managed by Flynn.

    Overall, tsuru's focus seems to be specifically on web applications; Flynn
    is intended to be a generic platform that can host and scale any service
    that can run containerized on Linux.

    If any of the tsuru folks see inaccuracies, please correct me.

    Jonathan