I know I am making a late entry to this discussion, but I dont see the
problem with creating generic functions for the bitwise operations if you
think they decrease readability.

An example: http://play.golang.org/p/pbZybh920X

It works perfectly, is readable, and has good performance and memory
footprint. The con is that it's not extendable to more than 64 flags per
field, but it covers the most common use cases.