Hello group ~

I stumbled upon the Namespace concept for the App Engine datastore here:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/multitenancy/

Unfortunately, it's not really documented as a feature in the Go SDK.

At the same time, I did manage to create entities in different Datastore
Namespaces by using appengine.Namespace().
But I'm hesitant to use this feature given the overall lack of
functionality and documentation.

As an alternative, I'm considering using ancestor paths to mimic namespaces.
In other words, I would create a Namespace kind with entities for each
"namespace".
And then always include include the "namespace key" in the ancestor path of
all entities of any kind.

I'm brand new to GAE, Go, the datastore ~~ everything.
Wondering if I'm on the right track or getting too fancy.
I would like to build several applications using a single GAE datastore and
keep their data separate.

Thanks for any insight here.
~scott

  • Jakub Labath at Jun 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    +1 from me. Any GAE folks reading this? Any plans to introduce this feature
    in GO runtime at some point?

    Thanks
[...]

  • David Symonds at Jun 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    It works, it's just not documented on developers.google.com/appengine.
    If you run "./go doc appengine Namespace" from the Go SDK directory
    then you'll get local documentation.

  • Mobiledatabooks at Jun 12, 2013 at 11:52 pm
    How do you use Datastore outside GAE?