Hi Gophers,

     I just built Darwin/ARM port [1] of Go 1.1 and uploaded to bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/minux/goios/downloads/go1.1.darwin-arm.tar.gz
It should support all ARMv7 iDevices with at least 256MiB of memory
(for example, all iPads).

     To use it, just follow the normal binary install instructions at
http://golang.org/doc/install:

# as root
rm -r /usr/local/go
tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.1.darwin-arm.tar.gz

     I sincerely hope that iDevices owners will enjoy this and please report
bugs to the issue tracker at https://bitbucket.org/minux/goios/issues/new.
Btw, it still doesn't support cgo, and I'm working on cmd/5l support at the
moment (it's in branch ios-cgo).

[1] http://bitbucket.org/minux/goios, branch ios for development version,
and branch ios-go1.1 for Go 1.1.

Best regards,
minux

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at May 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    Can you elaborate on this project's status?

    Does it require a jail-broken iDevice? Now that we have the new func
    representation without a writable executable heap, is cgo the last
    remaining hurdle before Go can run on unmodified iDevices?

    And then, once it can run on an unrooted device (so we can have a builder),
    I assume you'll start sending patches?

[...]

  • Alexei Sholik at May 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    Simply being able to compile Go on iOS is not enough for production use.
    You'll need to have some bridging to Objective-C to deal with runloop
    events, responds to app life cycle events, accept input, etc. Also,
    building UI is done with the UIKit framework, obviously. You cannot create
    just a command-line utility on a non-jailbroken iOS device, it has to have
    UI.

    .
    Btw, it still doesn't support cgo, and I'm working on cmd/5l support at
    the
    moment (it's in branch ios-cgo).

    [1] http://bitbucket.org/minux/goios, branch ios for development version,
    and branch ios-go1.1 for Go 1.1.

    Best regards,
    minux

    Best regards
    Alexei Sholik

  • Mikkel Krautz at May 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    I hope to be able to use https://github.com/mkrautz/objc on iOS once the
    cgo hurdle has been solved.

[...]

  • Minux at May 19, 2013 at 7:18 pm