I've been using setcap (tool, not the syscall) on linux to bind on low
ports and it works flawless.

On ubuntu, I had to install libcap2-bin and execute /sbin/setcap
'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' /path/to/command
+ep is effective and permitted

After that the command might run as non-root and bind on low ports.