I tried to install go from source on a remote machine. It went mostly
smoothly, except the runtime failed its tests. After running "go install
runtime" and re-running the tests for runtime but trying to run "go test
all" took forever (archive/zip took 243.475s, where the first time it took
.194s), finally stalling up on math/big it seems. Given how clear the error
is, it seems like the install failure a known issue, but I don't see any
documentation anywhere for it in the issues or on this mailing list, and
I'm not sure if the long tests are indicative of a problem. Thanks.

[btracey@matrix src]$ ./all.bash

.... everthing appears normal, then...

ok path/filepath 10.887s
ok reflect 0.109s
ok regexp 0.205s
ok regexp/syntax 1.218s
--- FAIL: TestCgoCrashHandler (0.80 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestCgoSignalDeadlock (0.59 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestCrashHandler (1.17 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestSimpleDeadlock (0.61 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestInitDeadlock (0.92 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestLockedDeadlock (1.09 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestLockedDeadlock2 (0.66 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestGoexitDeadlock (0.91 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
--- FAIL: TestGcSys (0.72 seconds)
crash_test.go:67: Stale runtime.a. Run 'go install runtime'.
FAIL
FAIL runtime 16.132s
ok runtime/debug 0.045s
ok runtime/pprof 0.409s
ok sort 0.092s
ok strconv 0.660s
ok strings 0.303s

[btracey@matrix ~]$ go env
GOARCH="amd64"
GOBIN=""
GOCHAR="6"
GOEXE=""
GOHOSTARCH="amd64"
GOHOSTOS="linux"
GOOS="linux"
GOPATH=""
GORACE=""
GOROOT="/ADL/btracey/go"
GOTOOLDIR="/ADL/btracey/go/pkg/tool/linux_amd64"
CC="gcc"
GOGCCFLAGS="-g -O2 -fPIC -m64 -pthread"
CGO_ENABLED="1"

  • Dave Cheney at Apr 16, 2013 at 11:32 pm
    This isn't an expected test failure. Can you share some more details
    about this host ?

    * Is this a virtual machine ?
    * Is the machine running ntp ?

    I'd say the clock ran backwards for a time.

    On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Brendan Tracey
[...]

  • Brendan Tracey at Apr 17, 2013 at 12:20 am
    It's not a virtual machine, and is running CentOS 6.3. I'm told it has NTP
    installed, but that they don't automatically update. The nodes were within
    30 seconds of each other, but the sys admin re-alligned them to be within
    less than a second of each other. This appears to have fixed the issue.

    Thanks
[...]

  • Dave Cheney at Apr 17, 2013 at 12:27 am
    Was your go checkout on a network mounted filesystem ? ntpq -p will
    tell you how out of sync the machine is. I suspect that the clock
    warped backwards during your build so
    $GOROOT/pkg/linux_amd64/runtime.a suddenly became newer than files
    that depended on it.

    On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Brendan Tracey
[...]

  • Brendan Tracey at Apr 17, 2013 at 12:40 am
    It is a network mounted filesystem. I don't know what the output was before
    the clocks were re-synced though. Thanks for the help.
[...]

  • Dave Cheney at Apr 17, 2013 at 12:43 am
    Cool, that is about the most reasonable explanation of the breakage.
    As part of the build packages are compiled inside /tmp then moved to
    your $GOROOT/pkg/$GOOS_$GOARCH/ path, that may have been the point at
    which they warped forward in time.

    On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Brendan Tracey