This source line:

return fmt.Sprintf("Block at offset 0x%x: Expected
long free tail tag, got 0x%02", e.Off, e.Arg)

triggers

errors.go:115:10: unrecognized printf verb '"'

Column 10 is the 'f' in 'fmt'. There are two tab chars in front of 'return'.

go version devel +c0a5b4ad0895 Sun Jan 27 21:36:47 2013 -0800 linux/amd64

Maybe it's know/reported, but I'll have no time until the weekend to
check more, so if someone is curious and want to investigate...

-j

(TODO to self)

  • Rob Pike at Feb 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    It's reporting the site of the call's function ("fmt.Printf"). It
    won't be trivial to turn that into the position of the offending char.
    Moreover, that's not the intent of the message, despite how it looks
    on the page. Still, better diagnostics are always good.

    -rob

  • Rob Pike at Feb 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    P.S. This sort of thing is one of two reasons why I prefer not to have
    such offsets in error messages. The other is the confusion between
    column/char/byte/rune.

    -rob

  • Jan Mercl at Feb 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm

    P.S. This sort of thing is one of two reasons why I prefer not to have
    such offsets in error messages. The other is the confusion between
    column/char/byte/rune.
    Thanks for the info. Would you like to have an issue filled about this by me?

    -j

  • Rob Pike at Feb 11, 2013 at 4:26 pm

    P.S. This sort of thing is one of two reasons why I prefer not to have
    such offsets in error messages. The other is the confusion between
    column/char/byte/rune.
    Thanks for the info. Would you like to have an issue filled about this by me?
    Up to you. I don't think it's worth fixing, since I barely trust line
    numbers, let alone character offsets. It got the right statement.

    -rob