I need to handle a massive quantity of images (for then to create static
web pages using that information). The images will be into the file system
but I'll use a database to hold information associated to them (i.e. width,
height, etc).

Now well, I could build a specific system in Go using an array of structs
or a map, instead of using a RDBMS; Redis could be another option. The
disadvantage of use Go jut like Redis is that all DB has to be in memory.

Do you think that it is worth doing it in Go by any reason in particular?

  • Caleb Doxsey at Dec 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm
    If you're just looking for a lightweight, local database you could use
    sqlite.

    --
  • Archos at Dec 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm
    It's for the web, and I could use a DBMS without ACID (No-SQL) for this

    I'm thinking in design it from the beginning to be used into a CDN, when it
    been necessary. So this system would be in Go; a simple proxy which
    redirects the incoming conection to a datacenter deppending on where it
    comes from.

    If you're just looking for a lightweight, local database you could use
    sqlite.
    I need to handle a massive quantity of images (for then to create static
    web pages using that information). The images will be into the file system
    but I'll use a database to hold information associated to them (i.e. width,
    height, etc).

    Now well, I could build a specific system in Go using an array of structs
    or a map, instead of using a RDBMS; Redis could be another option. The
    disadvantage of use Go jut like Redis is that all DB has to be in memory.

    Do you think that it is worth doing it in Go by any reason in particular?
    --
  • Kyle Lemons at Dec 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

    I need to handle a massive quantity of images (for then to create static
    web pages using that information). The images will be into the file system
    but I'll use a database to hold information associated to them (i.e. width,
    height, etc).

    Now well, I could build a specific system in Go using an array of structs
    or a map, instead of using a RDBMS; Redis could be another option. The
    disadvantage of use Go jut like Redis is that all DB has to be in memory.
    Go isn't a database and has no set semantics. Who says that you can't use
    an on-disk index with Go? Especially with an SSD to help out, you could
    probably devise a very efficient combination of in-memory and on-disk
    indices into an extremely large number of images.

    Do you think that it is worth doing it in Go by any reason in particular?

  • Archos at Dec 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm
    I need to handle a massive quantity of images (for then to create static
    web pages using that information). The images will be into the file system
    but I'll use a database to hold information associated to them (i.e. width,
    height, etc).

    Now well, I could build a specific system in Go using an array of structs
    or a map, instead of using a RDBMS; Redis could be another option. The
    disadvantage of use Go jut like Redis is that all DB has to be in memory.
    Go isn't a database and has no set semantics.
    Yes, I know, I already had written a little DB in Go to handle local
    information of my disks.

    Who says that you can't use an on-disk index with Go? Especially with an
    SSD to help out, you could probably devise a very efficient combination of
    in-memory and on-disk indices into an extremely large number of images.
    That's a good idea. I was looking distributed filesystems like Ceph, Lustre
    and Moose FS, but a distributed database like Riak does everything more
    easy too

    http://basho.com/products/riak-overview/

groupgolang-nuts @
categoriesgo