I'll start out by admitting that I'm new to concurrent programming.

Over the previous couple of weeks I've found that cpu profiling my code
often doesn't surface the real problem. The problem I'm finding is that
channel contention is often hard to pick up through a cpu profile. It
doesn't always show me which channels are being blocked on and on which
sides. Are there any tools for seeing where the message contention is in my
application?

Cheers,
Rob

  • Dmitry Vyukov at Oct 29, 2012 at 3:57 am

    I'll start out by admitting that I'm new to concurrent programming.

    Over the previous couple of weeks I've found that cpu profiling my code
    often doesn't surface the real problem. The problem I'm finding is that
    channel contention is often hard to pick up through a cpu profile. It
    doesn't always show me which channels are being blocked on and on which
    sides. Are there any tools for seeing where the message contention is in my
    application?
    $ go test -blockprofile=prof

    will show where goroutines are blocked.
    The functionality is not yet in any release, so you will need to install
    tip.

    --
  • Rob Young at Oct 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

    The functionality is not yet in any release, so you will need to install
    tip.

    Fantastic! That sounds perfect.

groupgolang-nuts @
categoriesgo
postedOct 28, '12 at 9:48p
activeOct 29, '12 at 9:07a

Rob Young: 2 posts Dmitry Vyukov: 1 post