By Go 1 is locked down, do you mean Go 1.0 or Go 1.x? As I understand it
the Go language specification explicitly says that int is at least 32 bit
so in theory making it int64 on x86_64 isn't an issue?!
Nice to see that there is already a patch, I always saw this one of the
biggest mistakes of Java that they have so many things in their language
that are absolutely unchangeable and yet totally wrong. Though it's much
easier for Go because there is no strictly defined byte code and we already
got uintXXs, structs and a sane type system in general.
Can't change now. Go 1 is locked down, and besides I still think it's
right because of the type issue. No one wants to have to write uint
declarations everywhere.

-rob

  • Minux at Oct 21, 2012 at 4:26 am

    By Go 1 is locked down, do you mean Go 1.0 or Go 1.x? As I understand it
    the Go language specification explicitly says that int is at least 32 bit
    so in theory making it int64 on x86_64 isn't an issue?!
    Nice to see that there is already a patch, I always saw this one of the
    biggest mistakes of Java that they have so many things in their language
    that are absolutely unchangeable and yet totally wrong. Though it's much
    easier for Go because there is no strictly defined byte code and we already
    got uintXXs, structs and a sane type system in general.

    on the default branch, int and uint are already 64-bit
    on amd64.

groupgolang-nuts @
categoriesgo
postedOct 21, '12 at 1:37a