I installed go (gc) from "go1.0.2.linux-amd64.tar.gz", and set my
environment variables in my .bashrc file.
export GOROOT=$HOME/Local/go
export PATH=$PATH:$GOROOT/bin

I then installed the goeclipse plugin using the update site (as documented).

I set the GOROOT variable, but the rest of the variables can't be set (GO
compiler path, GO linker path, etc). The apply button grey's out
.
To execute my Go programs, I usually just use the go command (i.e. "go run
hellow.go"). In my go root directory hierarchy there is a bin/go,
bin/fofmt, and lastly a bin/godoc.

It seems that there exists no $GOBIN environmental variable (unless you do
a source based install). The directions for the tar file install do not
mention it.

I suspect that the $GOBIN "fix" below (and the goeclipse plugin itself)
makes some assumptions that are not viable when the go compiler is
installed from the binary go distribution on Linux.
I see these executables in the "$GOROOT/pkg/tool/linux_amd64" directory:
6a 6g addr2line cgo fix objdump pprof yacc 6c 6l api dist
nm pack vet

But that directory does not contain gofmt, go, or godoc.

So instead of using "the program name appended to the end of GOBIN, i.e.
$GOBIN/6g, $GOBIN/6l, $GOBIN/gofmt, $GOBIN/gotest.",
The directions should indicate that we should search for the required
binaries, and the browse to each of their locations and select them.
Hopefully in the future, the binary installs will have them in a consistent
location.