I'm not sure what other folks are using for arm64 development work,
but I finally found what appears to be a decent, cheap option: pine64.
I just got mine in the mail and thought I'd share first impressions.

Using cross-compiled Go 1.6.2 for the bootstrap compiler, make.bash at
tip runs in 5 mins (real time), and all.bash passes.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : AArch64 Processor rev 4 (aarch64)
processor : 0
processor : 1
processor : 2
processor : 3
Features : fp asimd aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: AArch64
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4
Hardware : sun50iw1p1

Might be just in time for folks who want to contribute to the ARM64
SSA backend. :) I believe that there are also still several arm64
optimization-only assembly routines yet to be implemented, e.g. in
math/big.

-josh

---

Some details:

I have the PINE64+ 2GB version -- see https://www.pine64.com/product.
I suspect the basic version would also work, but haven't tried.

I'm running Debian Jessie:
http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A64_Software_Release#Debian_Linux_Jessie_with_Mate_GUI_Image_.5B20160508.5D_by_lenny.raposo_with_Longsleep_kernel

The board is noticeably physically bigger than an RPi.

"decent, cheap option": I used to use my phone or a tablet, but that
requires jumping through annoying hoops. The RPi 3 has an arm64 chip
but no supported 64 bit OS. There have long been fancy arm64 dev kits,
but they were (are?) expensive.

  • Anthony Starks at Jun 12, 2016 at 6:13 pm
    see: https://gist.github.com/ajstarks/fa05919377de73a552870ce9e45e4844
[...]

  • Ian Lance Taylor at Jun 12, 2016 at 6:39 pm

    I'm not sure what other folks are using for arm64 development work,
    but I finally found what appears to be a decent, cheap option: pine64.
    I just got mine in the mail and thought I'd share first impressions.
    Sounds nice. Want to see if you can recreate
    https://golang.org/issue/14875? Or https://golang.org/issue/15936?

    Ian

  • Michael Hudson-Doyle at Jun 12, 2016 at 10:16 pm

[...]

    I have a Dragonboard 410c, which has a similar CPU but only 1 GB of
    RAM: I'd definitely recommend getting the 2 GB variant! Although with
    a 1Gb/s ethernet port you can always mount swap over iSCSI or
    something, which is likely to be faster than the SD card or a USB2
    drive.

    I'm running Debian Jessie:
    http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A64_Software_Release#Debian_Linux_Jessie_with_Mate_GUI_Image_.5B20160508.5D_by_lenny.raposo_with_Longsleep_kernel

    The board is noticeably physically bigger than an RPi.

    "decent, cheap option": I used to use my phone or a tablet, but that
    requires jumping through annoying hoops. The RPi 3 has an arm64 chip
    but no supported 64 bit OS.
    There is also the Dragonboard 410c as I mentioned, which runs 64 bit
    Ubuntu fine but lacks decent IO options (another problem for the RPi3,
    I think).

    These are all still really mobile phone CPUs, unfortunately.
    There have long been fancy arm64 dev kits,
    but they were (are?) expensive.
    Yeah, not aware of anything with a "proper" CPU and decent amount of
    RAM that's actually easy to get yet. There's things like
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-r120-p30-single-socket-1u-rackmount-armv8-24ghz-pcie-30-8x-ddr3-slots-ecc-unbuffered-2x-10g
    but that's beyond hobbiest money. Maybe the LeMaker Cello will be nice
    to use when it or something like it finally ships...

    Cheers,
    mwh

  • Joseph Poirier at Jun 12, 2016 at 10:45 pm