I submitted an efficiency/clarity-related Go language proposal earlier today concerning stacks and bounds checking. It’s implementation requires a choice of notation. Several notations are outlined, introducing interesting and potentially contentious concepts. It would be delightful to hear comments on these of suggestions of alternative constructs useful for using a slice as an efficient stack as outlined here:

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/15526 <https://github.com/golang/go/issues/15526>

This does not fix any crippling flaw but addresses a compute intensive Go performance concern that commonly costs me 10%-15% of runtime unless sidestepped by compiling with bounds checking disabled. The proposal should allow slightly faster performance than this with normal bounds checking and Go 1 promise mode.

Several good observations have been made since the issue was opened and are under investigation right now. Thanks for all advice!

Michael Jones, CEO • michael@wearality.com • +1 650 656-6989
Wearality Corporation • 289 S. San Antonio Road • Los Altos, CA 94022