The golang source distribution contains binary objects not built from
any source in the distribution: race_linux_amd64.syso and friends.
This is a bit counter to how distributions like Ubuntu and Debian
expect things to work, so I've made a package for Ubuntu that builds
race_linux_amd64.syso from a snapshot of the compiler-rt source. When
I proposed this for Debian, I was asked if it was really necessary to
have yet another copy of the compiler-rt source in Debian (there are
already at least half a dozen: one each for each version of gcc and
llvm). It would be possible to build the syso from the version of
compiler-rt that comes with the latest version of llvm, but that does
mean that it's unlikely to be built with the same snapshot of the
compiler-rt source as that which comes with the source distribution.
The question is, after all that: how much would this matter?

As far as I can tell the latest release of llvm in debian is the 3.8
release, and the snapshot of compiler-rt is from trunk rev 257626
(although with several fixes applied) vs the version of the syso
shipped with Go 1.6, which is from trunk rev 252922.

Cheers,
mwh

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Mar 22, 2016 at 2:03 am
    Dmitry,

    Thoughts?

    From my memory, it seems like Go & the race detector are very
    interdependent, but maybe that's not true?

[...]

  • Dmitry Vyukov at Mar 22, 2016 at 7:41 am
    Hi,

    The latest Go release _should_ work with llvm tip (where latest means
    the latest in development, not the latest released). This is not
    necessary true for the previous releases as interfaces may have
    changed. There can also be temporal inconsistencies. Your best bet
    would be the revision stored in src/runtime/race/README, as it is
    versioned with Go source tree. Then you need some comprehensive
    testing of race detector. Then the result should be usable.