On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
But in an important
library like compress/flate it might still be worth doing for as much as a
20% overall reduction if the amount of assembly is reasonable. There's no
hard line. (Klaus's excellent work is going to make it that much more
reasonable to start compressing our package archives.)
Changing the topic... if compression throughput performance affects
whether or not it's reasonable to compress our package archives, have
we considered (and rejected??) using snappy instead of gzip?

  • Joe Tsai at Mar 11, 2016 at 12:09 am
    The fact that the archive proposal uses zip files, means we're bounded to
    the compression methods that the zip format supports. DEFLATE is one of the
    standard methods defined, but snappy is not. We could define a new
    compression method and use snappy, but that would make the zip archives we
    generate non-compliant.

    JT
    library like compress/flate it might still be worth doing for as much as a
    20% overall reduction if the amount of assembly is reasonable. There's no
    hard line. (Klaus's excellent work is going to make it that much more
    reasonable to start compressing our package archives.)
    Changing the topic... if compression throughput performance affects
    whether or not it's reasonable to compress our package archives, have
    we considered (and rejected??) using snappy instead of gzip?
  • Russ Cox at Mar 11, 2016 at 2:47 pm