Hi all,

I'd like to see a PRECIS implementation (a modern replacement for
Stringprep, see RFC 7564 [1] for more info) included in the the
`golang.org/x' namespace somewhere (probably
`golang.org/x/text/unicode/precis').

After reading the contributions document, I've opened an issue on
GitHub for this [2], but it sounds like this is the better place for
discussion.

I've also started on an implementation that contains a tool for
generating the necessary derived property tables [3] which I would be
more than happy to clean up / merge / submit for code review if the
approach is validated, and this is actually something people would be
interested in seeing.

Would there be value in such a package? Would it be best to have just
the tables, or actually implement string classes, profiles, etc.?

Best,
Sam

[1]: https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7564
[2]: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/13336
[3]: https://bitbucket.org/SamWhited/go-precis/src

--
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3

  • Mpvl at Nov 20, 2015 at 2:36 pm
    I'm fully in favor of adding this functionality to the text repo. I think
    it would be quite valuable. See my comments in the proposal.
    I'd like to see a PRECIS implementation (a modern replacement for
    Stringprep, see RFC 7564 [1] for more info) included in the the
    `golang.org/x' namespace somewhere (probably
    `golang.org/x/text/unicode/precis').

    After reading the contributions document, I've opened an issue on
    GitHub for this [2], but it sounds like this is the better place for
    discussion.

    I've also started on an implementation that contains a tool for
    generating the necessary derived property tables [3] which I would be
    more than happy to clean up / merge / submit for code review if the
    approach is validated, and this is actually something people would be
    interested in seeing.
    If you do this within the text repo, you can use the internal package like
    the UCD parser and code generator for tables. Should reduce this code quite
    a bit.

    Would there be value in such a package? Would it be best to have just
    the tables, or actually implement string classes, profiles, etc.?
    The standard prescribes applying transforms in particular orders in
    combination with validating the rune sets. It is not trivial to do this
    efficiently, or even correctly for a casual user. I would suggest to not
    have the tables exposed at all and use profiles instead. This takes away
    most of the work for the user and allows for the most flexibility down the
    road w.r.t. optimizations. See comments on GitHub.

    Best,

    Marcel

    Best,
    Sam

    [1]: https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7564
    [2]: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/13336
    [3]: https://bitbucket.org/SamWhited/go-precis/src

    --
    Sam Whited
    pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3
    https://blog.samwhited.com

  • Sam Whited at Nov 29, 2015 at 3:20 pm
    In case anyone was following the issue, this was closed because
    (though the docs say you don't have to use the tool), I was told you
    can't contribute unless you use the go-codereview tool. I have a thing
    about downloading and learning new and custom source control tools
    (codereview, Android's repo, etc.) when I feel that normal Git and
    Gerrit and other existing tools do just fine (it's silly of me, and
    not worth discussing here, feel free to ping me OOB if you're
    curious), so the issue was closed.

    I'd still like to see this in golang.org/x/text, and have continued to
    work on the package. If anyone who's already familiar with this tool
    would like to push it to Gerrit periodically (effectively "sponsoring"
    the package), I'm happy to keep working on it. Otherwise I'm going to
    move it back to being a stand-alone package.

    Let me know.

    Thanks,
    Sam

    P.S. Alternatively, if the poster on the issue was wrong and there's a
    way to contribute w/o using go-codereview, I'm happy to do that
    manually; the docs seem to suggest that it's just a convenience
    wrapper and that I could submit to Gerrit manually, but I couldn't
    find a way to do so. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate a quick rundown.

  • Ian Lance Taylor at Nov 29, 2015 at 4:46 pm