Following our current release schedule (golang.org/s/releasesched), since
November 1 we've been in the "feature freeze" for Go 1.6. This means that
new features or significant implementation changes not yet started will be
postponed until Go 1.7. Features or changes in progress can continue but
need to finish up soon so we can bang on them and see if they break.

I've been through the Go1.6Early and Go1.6 issues once over the past few
days, moving things to Unplanned. But not everything still in those
milestones will get done.

The major things I believe are still pending and that will go into Go 1.6
are:

all: complete ppc64 support, mostly by Michael
cmd/cgo: definition of and enforcement of rules for pointer sharing
runtime: state-machine GC patch sequence by Austin (under review+test)

If possible I intend to see these things fixed soon too:

encoding/json: check Number syntax during encoding
encoding/json: something about zero structs
encoding/xml: something about zero structs
encoding/xml: another try at name spaces
html/template: a few encoding errors
os: atomic rename on Windows
runtime: Windows console Unicode output

I am sure that many other minor bug fixes will make it in too, but the
above are what I am focusing on. If you think something important is
missing, please reply to this thread.

It may seem early for a freeze and it may seem that not much got done.
Certainly less got done than we intended, although that's always true. It's
also true that this cycle was short because Go 1.5 was delayed a few weeks.
And Go 1.5 had a very long cycle, so in comparison this feels short. Even
considering all that, we're going to be quite strict about enforcing the
freeze. The holidays carve out a whole bunch of time in the Nov Dec Jan
months, so it's particularly important we get to actual testing of
release-quality code as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Russ, for the Go team

  • Michael Hudson-Doyle at Nov 5, 2015 at 9:02 pm

[...]

    I have several CLs pending that add shared library support for arm64,
    armhf, ppc64le and 386. I've not created issues for any of this work,
    which is I guess why they didn't get covered by your recent roundup.
    The arm64 and armhf ones in particular have been waiting for a long
    time now.

    Cheers,
    mwh

  • Dave Cheney at Nov 5, 2015 at 11:48 pm
    Hello,

    Robert, will your new export format make it in to go 1.6 ? Is there
    anything that I can do to help with this ?

    Thanks

    Dave

    On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle
[...]

  • Robert Griesemer at Nov 6, 2015 at 1:45 am
    The new format seems to work (all.bash is ok with GO_GCFLAGS=-newexport)
    and the code is checked in.

    However, it does not yet export the bodies of inlineable functions (and
    thus likely cause performance penalties).

    I started working on that 10 days ago or so but ran into trouble (due to me
    not fully understanding the requirements of gc's Node data structure, not
    due to more fundamental problems).

    I spent the last 10 days studying the yacc grammar in detail. (In that
    process I have written a replacement for the yacc-based parser. It should
    be faster and will make it much easier to further cleanup the compiler
    front-end down the road: https://go-review.googlesource.com/16665 )

    Thus:

    I think I can complete the new export format now, but technically we are in
    a freeze and this would be new engineering. However, all new code is
    completely isolated in new files and no other code would be affected. The
    code would also not run w/o -newexport set.

    It depends on how rsc feels about this. rsc?

    - gri
[...]

  • Russ Cox at Nov 6, 2015 at 2:49 am

[...]

    Sorry, but it's too late. It will need to wait for Go 1.7. It's not done
    yet, and there will certainly be subtle bugs, and now's not the time to
    introduce them. If we can land this when Go 1.7 starts, that would be
    great. In addition to the implementation of inlined function bodies, we
    need to work out the plan for the replacement for the current linker
    checking of the consistency of the export data.

    (For many of the same reasons, dev.ssa will not be merged for Go 1.6.)

    Russ

  • Russ Cox at Nov 6, 2015 at 2:52 am

[...]

    Also, FWIW, a fair number of my own intended changes are in the same state
    too (too late, will have to wait for Go 1.7). We really need to lock things
    down quickly this round, so that we can start useful release testing before
    the holidays.

    Russ

  • Austin Clements at Nov 6, 2015 at 1:42 am