The Go FAQ (http://tip.golang.org/doc/faq) contains references to our two
main compilers, "gccgo" and "gc".

Besides gc (Go compiler) being a terribly confusing name because of its
similarity to capital GC (garbage collector), we've also mostly renamed
"gc" away (cmd/compile, go tool compile).

Is gc still the name of the main Go compiler?

Do we need to update the FAQ?

Just curious.

  • Andrew Gerrand at Jul 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm
    "gc" refers to the entire Go compiler suite (compile, link, asm), and I
    believe it's still called "gc."

    Besides gc (Go compiler) being a terribly confusing name because of its
    similarity to capital GC (garbage collector), we've also mostly renamed
    "gc" away (cmd/compile, go tool compile).

    Is gc still the name of the main Go compiler?

    Do we need to update the FAQ?

    Just curious.

  • Russ Cox at Jul 7, 2015 at 9:08 pm
    I regret that name. I would not mind changing it. But I don't have any
    better ideas, which is why we're where we are today.
    "gc" refers to the entire Go compiler suite (compile, link, asm), and I
    believe it's still called "gc."

    Besides gc (Go compiler) being a terribly confusing name because of its
    similarity to capital GC (garbage collector), we've also mostly renamed
    "gc" away (cmd/compile, go tool compile).

    Is gc still the name of the main Go compiler?

    Do we need to update the FAQ?

    Just curious.

  • Jimxu at Jul 7, 2015 at 9:36 pm
    I wish it had called “goc" at the beginning… I agree that the name collision b/w “gc” and “GC” is a bit of unfortunate…

    --
    jimxu

    I regret that name. I would not mind changing it. But I don't have any
    better ideas, which is why we're where we are today.
    "gc" refers to the entire Go compiler suite (compile, link, asm), and I
    believe it's still called "gc."

    Besides gc (Go compiler) being a terribly confusing name because of its
    similarity to capital GC (garbage collector), we've also mostly renamed
    "gc" away (cmd/compile, go tool compile).

    Is gc still the name of the main Go compiler?

    Do we need to update the FAQ?

    Just curious.

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Jul 7, 2015 at 9:39 pm
    goc isn't bad. Pronounceable, short, still means "go compiler", and the
    name is free again, now that the runtime is in Go and the goc tool is
    deleted.

    I wish it had called “goc" at the beginning… I agree that the name
    collision b/w “gc” and “GC” is a bit of unfortunate…

    --
    jimxu

    I regret that name. I would not mind changing it. But I don't have any
    better ideas, which is why we're where we are today.
    "gc" refers to the entire Go compiler suite (compile, link, asm), and I
    believe it's still called "gc."

    Besides gc (Go compiler) being a terribly confusing name because of
    its
    similarity to capital GC (garbage collector), we've also mostly
    renamed
    "gc" away (cmd/compile, go tool compile).

    Is gc still the name of the main Go compiler?

    Do we need to update the FAQ?

    Just curious.

  • Pierre Durand at Jul 9, 2015 at 8:55 pm
    http://commandcenter.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/less-is-exponentially-more.html

    Rob: *name: 'go'. you can invent reasons for this name but it has nice
    properties. it's short, easy to type. tools: goc, gol, goa.*

    On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 3:35 PM, jimxu <ji...@google.com <javascript:>>
    I wish it had called “goc" at the beginning… I agree that the name
    collision b/w “gc” and “GC” is a bit of unfortunate…

    --
    jimxu

    I regret that name. I would not mind changing it. But I don't have any
    better ideas, which is why we're where we are today.
    "gc" refers to the entire Go compiler suite (compile, link, asm), and
    believe it's still called "gc."

    Besides gc (Go compiler) being a terribly confusing name because of
    its
    similarity to capital GC (garbage collector), we've also mostly
    renamed
    "gc" away (cmd/compile, go tool compile).

    Is gc still the name of the main Go compiler?

    Do we need to update the FAQ?

    Just curious.

  • Chris Manghane at Jul 9, 2015 at 10:10 pm
    How about the "gopiler"?
[...]

  • Andrey mirtchovski at Jul 9, 2015 at 10:12 pm
    How about the "gopiler"?
    gompiler.

  • Robert Griesemer at Jul 10, 2015 at 9:23 pm
    +1

    maybe clearer, especially when spoken: goco (even "go co", "go fmt", etc.)

    - gri

[...]

  • Ron minnich at Jul 10, 2015 at 10:02 pm
    I can run my go co under bril lo at the co lo

    ron
[...]

  • Chris Manghane at Jul 10, 2015 at 10:21 pm
    We make a parody video of CoCo by O.T. Genasis.

    IM IN LOVE WITH THE GO CO
    BROUGHT MY COMPILE SPEEDS TO THE LOW LOW
[...]

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Jul 10, 2015 at 11:22 pm
    In my defense, my original question tried very hard to be just a question
    and not bikeshed or solicit bikeshedding.

    That said, I do like goc a lot.