Hi golang-dev,

I have looked in the mailing list archives but couldn't find the answer, so
please forgive me if this is a FAQ. gccgo includes cmd/cgo, cmd/go, and
cmd/gofmt, but why doesn't it also include cmd/yacc? "go tool yacc" doesn't
work with gccgo by default. However, building the yacc.go with gccgo does
give a proper yacc executable, and moving it into the appropriate location
under $GCCGO/libexec allows "go tool yacc" to work, so it is relatively
easy to support. I wonder if there was a reason for omitting it from gccgo.

Bryan

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Jun 16, 2015 at 12:55 am
    Personally I think the better question is why "go tool yacc" is even
    included with the main gc distribution.

[...]

    There is no special reason. It simply hasn't been added. It's not
    clear that it will be added. It might be more useful to make it
    go-gettable, so that people who want it for gccgo can easily fetch
    it.

    Ian

  • Russ Cox at Jun 16, 2015 at 2:15 am

    I have looked in the mailing list archives but couldn't find the answer, so
    please forgive me if this is a FAQ. gccgo includes cmd/cgo, cmd/go, and
    cmd/gofmt, but why doesn't it also include cmd/yacc? "go tool yacc" doesn't
    work with gccgo by default. However, building the yacc.go with gccgo does
    give a proper yacc executable, and moving it into the appropriate location
    under $GCCGO/libexec allows "go tool yacc" to work, so it is relatively easy
    to support. I wonder if there was a reason for omitting it from gccgo.
    There is no special reason. It simply hasn't been added. It's not
    clear that it will be added. It might be more useful to make it
    go-gettable, so that people who want it for gccgo can easily fetch
    it.
    We should definitely think about moving cmd/yacc out of the main repo for
    Go 1.6. I don't believe we'll still need it for the main repo by then, and
    it's probably nicer to get and stay up to date in an unreleased subrepo. I
    filed golang.org/issue/11229.

    Thanks.
    Russ

  • Bryan Chan at Jun 16, 2015 at 8:18 pm

    There is no special reason.  It simply hasn't been added.  It's not
    clear that it will be added.  It might be more useful to make it
    go-gettable, so that people who want it for gccgo can easily fetch
    it.
    We should definitely think about moving cmd/yacc out of the main
    repo for Go 1.6. I don't believe we'll still need it for the main
    repo by then, and it's probably nicer to get and stay up to date in
    an unreleased subrepo. I filed golang.org/issue/11229.
    Thanks for the answer. Some programs (e.g. Couchbase) assume that
    "go tool yacc" works and therefore do not work with gccgo. It would
    be nice if yacc is either included in both Go and gccgo or included
    in neither of them.

    Thanks,
    Bryan