Hi all,

A while ago, Dave and I fixed cmd/dist a bit so you could build it
with gccgo and so use gccgo to bootstrap tip Go. I proposed using
gccgo like this as the way to build Go 1.5 packages in Debian once
it's released, but the Debian maintainer, understandably enough,
didn't want to use this approach without some kind of indication of
support from upstream. So here I am asking: does this sound like a
sensible plan?

If so, https://tip.golang.org/doc/install/source#go14 could be updated
to suggest gccgo for the new architectures as it's (to the best of my
knowledge) the easiest way to get started on those platforms.

Cheers,
mwh

  • Ian Lance Taylor at Jun 5, 2015 at 3:24 am

    A while ago, Dave and I fixed cmd/dist a bit so you could build it
    with gccgo and so use gccgo to bootstrap tip Go. I proposed using
    gccgo like this as the way to build Go 1.5 packages in Debian once
    it's released, but the Debian maintainer, understandably enough,
    didn't want to use this approach without some kind of indication of
    support from upstream. So here I am asking: does this sound like a
    sensible plan?
    I think it sounds like a sensible plan but of course it would be best
    if there were some way to test this periodically. It seems fairly
    likely to break otherwise.

    Chris M is working on getting a gccgo builder up and running. When
    that happens, perhaps we can arrange to use the newly built gccgo to
    build the gc tools. Then we can claim that this is supported with
    some degree of confidence.

    Ian

  • Michael Hudson-Doyle at Jun 5, 2015 at 11:37 am

    On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Michael Hudson-Doyle
    A while ago, Dave and I fixed cmd/dist a bit so you could build it
    with gccgo and so use gccgo to bootstrap tip Go. I proposed using
    gccgo like this as the way to build Go 1.5 packages in Debian once
    it's released, but the Debian maintainer, understandably enough,
    didn't want to use this approach without some kind of indication of
    support from upstream. So here I am asking: does this sound like a
    sensible plan?
    I think it sounds like a sensible plan but of course it would be best
    if there were some way to test this periodically. It seems fairly
    likely to break otherwise.
    Well, I plan to start building go 1.5 snapshot packages fairly soon
    and if I use this approach...
    Chris M is working on getting a gccgo builder up and running. When
    that happens, perhaps we can arrange to use the newly built gccgo to
    build the gc tools. Then we can claim that this is supported with
    some degree of confidence.
    That would be great... although test building tip gc tools with
    released gccgo is also important I guess?

    Cheers,
    mwh

  • Aram Hăvărneanu at Jun 5, 2015 at 11:40 am