Hello,

A quick licensing question. Consider the following scenario:

- a 3rd party releases some code under the BSD license
- we take it and modify it, integrating it in the standard library
- we submit the change to Go (leaving all required (C) notes)

Is that allowed? My reading of points 5 and 7 of the CLA seem to suggest
so, but I wanted to check.

Thanks,

Filippo Valsorda
CloudFlare

  • Ian Lance Taylor at Apr 16, 2015 at 3:38 pm

    A quick licensing question. Consider the following scenario:

    - a 3rd party releases some code under the BSD license
    - we take it and modify it, integrating it in the standard library
    - we submit the change to Go (leaving all required (C) notes)

    Is that allowed? My reading of points 5 and 7 of the CLA seem to suggest so,
    but I wanted to check.
    Always tough to answer these questions in the abstract, but I agree
    that this sounds OK in principle.

    Ian

  • Russ Cox at Apr 16, 2015 at 6:20 pm
    It sounds okay in principle but in general we try to avoid that, just to
    reduce the number of distinct such notices in the tree. Please ask about
    specifics before sending a CL.

    Russ