Progress update on try bots (running builders on changes before they're
submitted).

I've added two new labels to the Go Gerrit server's AllProjects config (in
All-Projects's refs/meta/config project.config)

[label "TryBot"]
function = NoBlock
defaultValue = 0
copyMinScore = false # reset on new patchset
copyMaxScore = false # reset on new patchset
value = 0 Don't test
value = +1 Run TryBots
[label "TryBot-Result"]
function = NoBlock
defaultValue = 0
copyMinScore = false # reset on new patchset
copyMaxScore = false # reset on new patchset
value = -1 TryBots failed
value = 0 No results
value = +1 TryBots succeeded

The "TryBot" label is ACL'd to approvers, to request a try run. It renders
as a checkbox in the UI the scale is from [0,1] only. See attached
screenshot.

The TryBot-Result label is [-1,1], where 0 means unknown.

Thus, the TODO list for the builders is:

    label:TryBot=1 label:TryBot-Result=0
Or maybe:
    label:TryBot=1 label:TryBot-Result=0 is:open

Example:

https://go-review.googlesource.com/#/q/label:TryBot%253D1+label:TryBot-Result%253D0+is:open

The TryBot-Result label is ACL'd only to Gobot (gobot@golang.org). I'll
make it also leave a comment when it adjusts the label to +1 or -1.

I don't know how we'll make it only test certain configs. We could go crazy
with N different labels. Or use magic comments. Preferences welcome. But
I'll start with this.

  • Austin Clements at Feb 10, 2015 at 10:58 pm
    I saw this in Gerrit before seeing your email. It's not exactly
    self-evident what this check box will do. We may be limited by Gerrit, but
    would it be possible to expand the text? Even something like "Run in a
    trybot" would be much clearer.

    Looking forward to trybots. :)
[...]

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Feb 10, 2015 at 11:00 pm
    Oh, I assumed my +1 text in the config file would be used. I'll ask Shawn
    Pearce. He was the one that told me I was doing it wrong before (with magic
    comments as the UI) and that I should use labels instead.

[...]

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Feb 10, 2015 at 11:18 pm
    Apparently when it goes into checkbox UI mode, the checkbox label is always
    the label name, not the +1 text. This isn't configurable, at least not yet.
    I've filed our complaint with Shawn.

    I think we can live for now and wait for Gerrit to fix it later. There are
    only N people to educate about this, not all Gerrit users.

    On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick <bradfitz@golang.org>