Hi all,

I'm currently reading and trying to learn the linker (cmd/ld, cmd/6l,
etc) code. But I'm wondering if this is a good use of my time, because
I don't entirely understand the plan for this code. I know that the
current C code is planned to be replaced by Go code for the 1.5 release,
but I don't know if this is going to be done by c2go or if a new linker
(cmd/link?) is going to be written. Can someone enlighten me?

Apologies if this has been described somewhere -- I did try to look
first and didn't find anything definitive.

Cheers,
mwh

  • Ian Lance Taylor at Jan 28, 2015 at 3:09 pm

    I'm currently reading and trying to learn the linker (cmd/ld, cmd/6l,
    etc) code. But I'm wondering if this is a good use of my time, because
    I don't entirely understand the plan for this code. I know that the
    current C code is planned to be replaced by Go code for the 1.5 release,
    but I don't know if this is going to be done by c2go or if a new linker
    (cmd/link?) is going to be written. Can someone enlighten me?
    The most likely plan is that 6l, et al, will be discarded and replaced
    by cmd/link. But this is not certain, and it may or may not happen
    before the 1.5 release.

    Ian

  • Michael Hudson-Doyle at Jan 28, 2015 at 9:23 pm

    Ian Lance Taylor writes:

    On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Michael Hudson-Doyle
    I'm currently reading and trying to learn the linker (cmd/ld, cmd/6l,
    etc) code. But I'm wondering if this is a good use of my time, because
    I don't entirely understand the plan for this code. I know that the
    current C code is planned to be replaced by Go code for the 1.5 release,
    but I don't know if this is going to be done by c2go or if a new linker
    (cmd/link?) is going to be written. Can someone enlighten me?
    The most likely plan is that 6l, et al, will be discarded and replaced
    by cmd/link. But this is not certain, and it may or may not happen
    before the 1.5 release.
    OK, thanks. I was even wondering if it might make sense to write a
    standalone tool with the sole purpose of linking shared libraries (via
    an external linker) but that's probably not very sane...

    Cheers,
    mwh