Update on build.golang.org, if curious.

Most builders are now running in the new style, with the build coordinator
binary (status <http://107.178.219.46/>) launching a new VM per commit,
with the buildlet on each VM providing access to get/put files and execute
commands. The coordinator then uses the VMs' buildlets as puppets to
execute things. This is all prep for cmd/gomote (easy access to any
environment for Go developers), try bots (Gerrit bot telling you before you
break the build), test sharding (run all.bash over N machines), and
auto-submit-on-green. These things are all much easier when you have tons
of capacity, beyond single machines. Our current quota is 200 CPUs, but we
can increase it as needed.

New-style, in VMs with the buildlet:
-- Linux
-- OpenBSD 5.6, 32-bit and 64-bit
-- FreeBSD 10.1, 9.3, 32-bit and 64-bit
-- Plan9-386

Soon:
-- rest of Linux (easy conversion)
-- nacl (just another Dockerfile to convert, like Linux)
-- Windows (partially done, and next up)
-- Android qemu (pending CL from jbd)

Old-style for now:
- linux-ppc64le
- OS X (but progress in https://golang.org/issue/9495 ... will require a
farm of Mac Minis or something)
- Dragonfly (no virtio-scsi for GCE)
- NetBSD (bsiegert volunteered)
- *-arm
- Plan9-amd64 (should be possible?)
- Solaris (?)
- Android
- darwin/arm

We have no plans to kill the old-style builders, but we do have plans to
make them better, turning them more into buildlets.

  • Brainman at Jan 28, 2015 at 2:56 am
    It has been a while since I have seen windows race. Can we have one once
    windows build becomes "new-style"?

    Alex

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Jan 28, 2015 at 3:11 am
    Yes.
    It has been a while since I have seen windows race. Can we have one once
    windows build becomes "new-style"?

    Alex

  • Andrew Gerrand at Jan 28, 2015 at 9:45 am
    Awesome work Brad.
[...]

  • David Crawshaw at Jan 28, 2015 at 12:53 pm

    If we get a farm of Mac Minis I would like to give each one an iPod
    Touch to run darwin/arm{,64} builders and gomote.

  • Russ Cox at Jan 28, 2015 at 7:31 pm

    Most builders are now running in the new style, with the build coordinator
    binary (status <http://107.178.219.46/>) launching a new VM per commit,
    with the buildlet on each VM providing access to get/put files and execute
    commands. The coordinator then uses the VMs' buildlets as puppets to
    execute things. This is all prep for cmd/gomote (easy access to any
    environment for Go developers), try bots (Gerrit bot telling you before you
    break the build), test sharding (run all.bash over N machines), and
    auto-submit-on-green. These things are all much easier when you have tons
    of capacity, beyond single machines. Our current quota is 200 CPUs, but we
    can increase it as needed.
    Very nice, thank you.

    - OS X (but progress in https://golang.org/issue/9495 ... will require a
    farm of Mac Minis or something)
    Is farm the right collective noun for Mac Minis? It's not an infestation or
    something like that?

    Russ

  • Robert Griesemer at Jan 28, 2015 at 7:33 pm

    Is farm the right collective noun for Mac Minis? It's not an infestation
    or something like that?

    Depends on household... :-)