I made some progress on the non-Linux VM-based builders today (
https://golang.org/issue/9492), which is the precursor to trybots and
on-demand dev instances for debugging.

The coordinator (status at http://107.178.219.46/) can now launch VMs on
GCE to do builds, in addition to Docker containers.

I've updated https://golang.org/wiki/DashboardBuilders with the new
openbsd-amd64-gce56 builder, which is OpenBSD booting a fresh VM on GCE for
each build. Thanks to Matthew Dempsky for the wonderful script that runs
on Linux and spits out an OpenBSD VM on the other side:
https://github.com/golang/tools/blob/b2523aab470f7b48cbc34d0a23c24e783c9d70f8/dashboard/env/openbsd-amd64/make.bash

David du Colombier is working on a similar Plan 9 script in
https://go-review.googlesource.com/#/c/2251/

More help with others would be welcome:

-- FreeBSD (Andrew?)
-- NetBSD (anybody?)
-- Windows (Alex? maybe we'll cheat here and just configure the image by
hand, and then snapshot it, so a human-followable list of setup
instructions works instead of a bash script)
-- Solaris?

OS X and ARM are separate, but will also move to VMs and use the buildlet.
OS X will be on real Macs running VMWare or Parallels, with a little API
server running on the host to boot the VMs. (one at a time, per OS X
license). The ARM builders is https://golang.org/issue/8647

Once we have VMs for everything (and all Docker ones can run in VMs
trivially), then we can also do trybots (the current OpenBSD builder can
build any git hash on Gerrit: not just things that have been submitted),
and then the next goal is on-demand dev instances of any flavor for
debugging.

Let's not actually plan stuff too much here on email. I just wanted to get
more people hopefully involved. Actual discussion should happen on bugs,
all linked from https://golang.org/issue/9492

  • Brainman at Jan 3, 2015 at 10:06 am