Russ, please provide an update on this. Have you started this? What is
the remaining amount of work (that you know of)?
It blocks several changes on my side, so I would like to be up on it.

  • Russ Cox at Jul 1, 2014 at 12:13 pm

    Russ, please provide an update on this. Have you started this? What is
    the remaining amount of work (that you know of)?
    It blocks several changes on my side, so I would like to be up on it.
    I am working on it but I get a lot of other interrupts.

    What changes is it blocking?

    Russ

  • Dmitry Vyukov at Jul 1, 2014 at 12:28 pm

    Russ, please provide an update on this. Have you started this? What is
    the remaining amount of work (that you know of)?
    It blocks several changes on my side, so I would like to be up on it.

    I am working on it but I get a lot of other interrupts.

    What changes is it blocking?
    GC/malloc related changes (simpler, faster, less memory), I need to
    generate type information in a new format and generate type info for
    chans (for that I touch only cmd/gc/reflect.c), extend Type type (one
    line change in cmd/ld/decodesym.c). And also I would like to allocate
    select descriptors on stack and pass them to runtime.select, that will
    get rid of runtime.free function (and all associated complexity and
    bugs).

  • Russ Cox at Jul 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

    GC/malloc related changes (simpler, faster, less memory), I need to
    generate type information in a new format and generate type info for
    chans (for that I touch only cmd/gc/reflect.c), extend Type type (one
    line change in cmd/ld/decodesym.c).

    These are fine to do concurrently with my work.

    And also I would like to allocate
    select descriptors on stack and pass them to runtime.select, that will
    get rid of runtime.free function (and all associated complexity and
    bugs).
    How much does this change the compiler? It seems like it should not be much.

    Russ

  • Dmitry Vyukov at Jul 1, 2014 at 12:40 pm

    GC/malloc related changes (simpler, faster, less memory), I need to
    generate type information in a new format and generate type info for
    chans (for that I touch only cmd/gc/reflect.c), extend Type type (one
    line change in cmd/ld/decodesym.c).
    These are fine to do concurrently with my work.
    OK, I will mail them whey they are ready.
    And also I would like to allocate
    select descriptors on stack and pass them to runtime.select, that will
    get rid of runtime.free function (and all associated complexity and
    bugs).
    How much does this change the compiler? It seems like it should not be much.
    I don't implement it yet, but it must be some amount of code in walk.c
    I guess. OK, I will mail them and then we can decide how pervasive it
    is.