Hi

I searched for a simple way to contribute to Go(lang) and the TODOs in
net/mail/ seemed to fit the bill.

When looking into the implementation of group addresses as specified in
RFC 5322 3.4 [1] (one of the TODOs) I realized it may not be as easy as
I thought.

The RFC specifies that
The group construct allows the sender to indicate a named group of
recipients.
Since the net/mail API only specifies the (Parse)?AddressList functions
that return a list of Address struct pointers there is no way to indicate
a name for the returned list.

Do you think it is worth implementing a version of group address parsing
that just ignores the group name and returns the list of the specified
addresses in it? Other than that I see no way to implement the group
construct without changing the API.

Cheers,

Silvan

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4

--

---

  • David Symonds at May 10, 2014 at 12:05 am
    I left it as a TODO because approximately no-one uses group addresses.
    The TODO is more a marker to indicate that it's a known omission
    rather than a statement of intent. I wouldn't tackle that TODO if
    you're just looking for a way to contribute; look through the issue
    tracker instead.

    --

    ---
  • Silvan Jegen at May 10, 2014 at 6:48 am

    I left it as a TODO because approximately no-one uses group addresses.
    The TODO is more a marker to indicate that it's a known omission
    rather than a statement of intent. I wouldn't tackle that TODO if
    you're just looking for a way to contribute; look through the issue
    tracker instead.
    Thanks for the comment. I will check if I find something appropriate in
    the tracker then!

    Cheers,

    Silvan

    --

    ---
  • Rh at May 10, 2014 at 6:21 pm

    Thanks for joining the fray!

    --

    ---
  • Silvan Jegen at May 12, 2014 at 3:11 am

    Also, be aware that the Go 1.3 release is the primary focus right
    now. So, anything that you can pick off from issues marked Go-1.3
    or Go-1.3Maybe is a good candidate, but anything else there you will
    likely want to wait until Go 1.3 is released.
    I do not mind when my changes end up in the next release after 1.3 but
    we will see.

    Thanks for joining the fray!
    Thanks for the welcome! Your gratitude is probably a little premature
    though since I haven't contributed anything yet... :-)

    Cheers,

    Silvan

    --

    ---