The nm tool does no longer handle Plan 9 a.out object files since
it was rewritten in Go in December 16. Even with the old nm tool,
the parsing of the symbol table didn't work properly.

The runtime TestRuntimeGogoBytes test is now failing on:

--- FAIL: TestRuntimeGogoBytes (0.93 seconds)
  runtime_test.go:113: go tool nm: exit status: 'go 170537: 1'
   /tmp/go-build065718983/hello: unknown file format
FAIL
FAIL runtime 102.613s

I propose to implement a Plan 9 a.out library in a debug/plan9obj
package. It would be at least able to parse the Plan 9 a.out
executable header and the symbol table with an interface similar
to debug/elf. Then we could change cmd/nm to use it.

What do you think? Should I start working on this?

--
David du Colombier

--

---

  • Lucio De Re at Jan 7, 2014 at 9:17 am

    The nm tool does no longer handle Plan 9 a.out object files since
    it was rewritten in Go in December 16. Even with the old nm tool,
    the parsing of the symbol table didn't work properly. [snip]
    I propose to implement a Plan 9 a.out library in a debug/plan9obj
    package. It would be at least able to parse the Plan 9 a.out
    executable header and the symbol table with an interface similar
    to debug/elf. Then we could change cmd/nm to use it.

    What do you think? Should I start working on this?
    I don't think that's the logical approach. I think we ought to make
    sure that Go nm is the tool of choice in the Go environment and make,
    say, 9nm the option, if necessary. Adding p9 capabilities to Go nm
    may be useful and moderately easy, but not very cost effective.

    Just an opinion.

    Lucio.

    --

    ---
  • Russ Cox at Jan 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm

    The nm tool does no longer handle Plan 9 a.out object files since
    it was rewritten in Go in December 16. Even with the old nm tool,
    the parsing of the symbol table didn't work properly.

    I believe you mean that the nm tool does not handle Plan 9 Go binaries.
    (But I think Lucio thought you meant that the nm tool does not handle Plan
    9 C binaries.)

    We should certainly make it handle Plan 9 Go binaries.

    The runtime TestRuntimeGogoBytes test is now failing on:

    --- FAIL: TestRuntimeGogoBytes (0.93 seconds)
    runtime_test.go:113: go tool nm: exit status: 'go 170537: 1'
    /tmp/go-build065718983/hello: unknown file format
    FAIL
    FAIL runtime 102.613s

    I propose to implement a Plan 9 a.out library in a debug/plan9obj
    package. It would be at least able to parse the Plan 9 a.out
    executable header and the symbol table with an interface similar
    to debug/elf. Then we could change cmd/nm to use it.
    What do you think? Should I start working on this?
    That sounds great. Yes, please.

    Russ

    --

    ---
  • Lucio De Re at Jan 7, 2014 at 3:09 pm
[...]

  • Lucio De Re at Jan 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm
    ...Oops: bad interaction between me, Gmail and Firefox :-(

    To continue, if nm tool does not play nicely with Go binaries on Plan
    9, then some effort needs to go into it to fix it (Issue tracking? I
    have been working on other projects, I am a bit out of touch with the
    practical stuff).

    The nm tool is certainly under no obligation to deal with Plan 9
    native binaries, although being written in Go, it may be easier to
    extend it, along the lines of what David suggested.

    Am I on the right page now?

    Lucio.