Hi gophers,

Today I came across Russ Cox's user page on codereview, and I found this
link:
http://golang.org/s/go13nacl
And a lot of CLs that aim to (bring back) add NaCl support for Go (some of
them
are already being reviewed.)

What surprises me is that none of the CL is sent to golang-dev. This is
explained
in the CL messages, quoted below:
This CL is publicly visible but not CC'ed to golang-dev,
to avoid distracting from the preparation of the Go 1.2
release.

While I understand that sending them to golang-dev might distract the
release
process but on the other hand, I do want to watch and participate in
development
like this (esp. that I'm more than interested in getting ARM part of NaCl
support
working) and I don't think a sudden big bunch of CLs coming in the early
stage of
Go 1.3 will help reviewers and potential contributors (in a sense, it's not
unlike
throwing a monolithic 100KB patch)

Equally troubles me is that, there seems to be some big improvements being
proposed for Go 1.3 toolchain, but nothing appears on the public mailing
lists.

Sorry if this email sounds like criticism of closeness of the Go team,
that's not
my intention, and on the contrary, I think the Go team has done a great job
in
maintaining Go as an Open source project.

What I want to discuss is:
Is there better way to make new feature development more public in code
freeze periods. New mailing list? Or I will have to poll all Go authors'
user page
in rietveld to get the information I'm interested in?

At least, I'd expect the design document to be publicly mentioned.
Or provide a way to list all golang.org/s/ short URLs so that if I'm
sufficiently
interested, I can poll the list at regular interval for new design
documents?

Thank you for addressing my concern.

Best regards,
minux

--

---

  • David Symonds at Oct 29, 2013 at 5:21 am
    Nothing has happened yet except writing those docs. As the message you
    quoted said, nothing is being sent or Cc'd to golang-dev to avoid
    distraction from the release. Rest assured that once Go 1.2 lands
    everything will switch to being publicly discussed. None of it has any
    relevance to Go 1.2, so it's a shame you have now publicised them
    because nothing is going to happen until Go 1.2 is released and so it
    will indeed only be a distraction.

    Please pretend that you didn't see anything, and let's get back to
    beating Go 1.2 into shape.

    --

    ---
  • Minux at Oct 29, 2013 at 5:40 am