Last month Dave committed this change, that prevents the builder from
building the sub-repos against the release branch:

--
misc/dashboard: don't update tip tag for release branch commits.

This will mean that sub-repositories won't get built against the
release branch. They are often not compatible because the subrepos
often run ahead of the current release (e.g. go.tools is using
new additions to go/ast, and go.net is using new things in syscall)
so there's little point in checking them against cherrypick commits
when they'll be tested against those commits on tip anyway.

https://codereview.appspot.com/12001043
--

Now godoc is in go.tools and it is important that we keep it compatible
with the release branch, so the change should be reverted.

This leaves us in the unfortunate situation that some packages in the
sub-repositories must be release-branch-compatible, and others not.

Should there be some mechanism (build tag?) to nominate packages whose
failures should be ignored when building against the release branch? Or the
reverse?

This issue is relevant: https://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=2911

Andrew

--

---

  • Russ Cox at Aug 15, 2013 at 1:39 am
    Why does godoc need to be compatible with the release branch?

    --

    ---
  • Andrew Gerrand at Aug 15, 2013 at 1:46 am