The go.tools contains several packages and commands:

cmd/cover
cmd/vet
go/exact
go/types
gotype
importer
ssa
ssa/interp

The commands are in a "cmd" sub-directory of the repo root. I propose we
move the packages to a "pkg" sub-directory.

cmd/cover
cmd/vet
pkg/go/exact
pkg/go/types
pkg/gotype
pkg/importer
pkg/ssa
pkg/ssa/interp

This is the approach I have taken in the go.blogs and go.talks repositories
(with the exception of go.talks/present, which I haven't moved yet but may
soon). IMO it provides a clean separation of the equally important
categories of commands and packages.

It doesn't make sense to change the others as they either primarily
comprise packages (go.net, go.crypto) or are special (go.codereview).

Thoughts?

Andrew

--

---

  • Dave Cheney at Jul 17, 2013 at 3:33 am
    Hmm. I'm on the fence, I like the similarity with the std library, but
    am not keen on making the import path even longer[1], just so things
    which are not commands can be identified.

    [1] code.google.com/p/go.tools/pkg/go/types is very long and the 'pkg'
    leaves me with the same feeling when I see people name their
    interfaces IFooer.
[...]

  • Brad Fitzpatrick at Jul 17, 2013 at 3:44 am
    Andrew told me to reply to this thread and say that I agree with Dave.

    I don't think we need to say /pkg/ all the time.

    We can just put /cmd/ in its own. We'll soon have /cmd/godoc/ and /godoc/
    (the package).

[...]

  • Andrew Gerrand at Jul 17, 2013 at 3:55 am
    Proposal abandoned!

    --

    ---
  • Rob Pike at Jul 17, 2013 at 4:20 am