FAQ
This function breaks the usual Go convention of putting the destination
as the first argument (copy, io.Copy, strconv.AppendFloat, etc).

It also breaks the convention set by strconv of putting Append first,
but I think that's less important.


https://codereview.appspot.com/8478044/

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Search Discussions

  • R at May 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    Let's rethink this. Can we roll it back?


    https://codereview.appspot.com/8478044/

    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Brad Fitzpatrick at May 17, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    Just decide what to name it and the argument order and I'll send a CL to
    change it.

    Why roll it back?
    On May 17, 2013 11:53 AM, wrote:

    Let's rethink this. Can we roll it back?


    https://codereview.appspot.**com/8478044/<https://codereview.appspot.com/8478044/>
    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Rob Pike at May 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    It's ugly.

    -rob

    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Brad Fitzpatrick at May 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    Constructive.
      On May 17, 2013 12:07 PM, "Rob Pike" wrote:

    It's ugly.

    -rob
    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Gustavo Niemeyer at May 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

    On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
    Constructive.
    Just rollback and propose AppendFormat(dest, format)? Seems easier
    than debating.


    gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Russ Cox at May 17, 2013 at 7:50 pm
    It's a performance hack leaking into the API.

    Russ

    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Gustavo Niemeyer at May 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm

    On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    It's a performance hack leaking into the API.
    Isn't that the case all over the place? Why would we have
    strconv.Append*, or the bytes vs. string duplication all over the
    regexp package, or the special case of append(bytes, string...)?

    It's a genuine question, rather than a trolling one. I don't quite get
    where the line is.


    gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Brad Fitzpatrick at May 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    Yeah, I have no clue what the rules are either.


    On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
    On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    It's a performance hack leaking into the API.
    Isn't that the case all over the place? Why would we have
    strconv.Append*, or the bytes vs. string duplication all over the
    regexp package, or the special case of append(bytes, string...)?

    It's a genuine question, rather than a trolling one. I don't quite get
    where the line is.


    gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net
    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Russ Cox at May 17, 2013 at 8:11 pm

    On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
    On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    It's a performance hack leaking into the API.
    Isn't that the case all over the place? Why would we have
    strconv.Append*, or the bytes vs. string duplication all over the
    regexp package, or the special case of append(bytes, string...)?

    It's a genuine question, rather than a trolling one. I don't quite get
    where the line is.
    reasonable people can disagree about where the line is.
    AppendFormat is certainly somewhere near it.

    russ

    --

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-dev" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golang-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupgolang-dev @
categoriesgo
postedMay 17, '13 at 5:59p
activeMay 17, '13 at 8:11p
posts10
users4
websitegolang.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase