Hello,

Just checking current state of things. Am I correct that offline
persistence is only fully functional in native IOS and Android apps? I need
to be able to start an app in offline mode with data available to populate
views. Is saving the relevant data to localStorage my only option with
Firebase on a Angular/Phonegap application?

Thank you.

  • Jacob Wenger at Jun 26, 2015 at 7:09 pm
    Hi Aikat,

    You are correct that full offline persistence (across app restarts) is only
    available in the Firebase iOS and Android SDKs. The JavaScript SDK already
    handles when users go offline and will re-sync data once they come back
    online. However, if the app is killed and or the phone / computer is
    restarted while offline, any queued writes will never get synced. We plan
    on brining full offline support to the JavaScript SDK, but have no timeline
    for its release.

    Jacob
    Just checking current state of things. Am I correct that offline
    persistence is only fully functional in native IOS and Android apps? I need
    to be able to start an app in offline mode with data available to populate
    views. Is saving the relevant data to localStorage my only option with
    Firebase on a Angular/Phonegap application?

    Thank you.

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/1b9cc312-a4aa-4e63-8df2-792601323b79%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/1b9cc312-a4aa-4e63-8df2-792601323b79%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Aikat at Jun 27, 2015 at 9:25 am
    Thank you for getting in touch quickly and for verifying.

    On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 6:29 AM, Aikat <catherine...@gmail.com
    Just checking current state of things. Am I correct that offline
    persistence is only fully functional in native IOS and Android apps? I need
    to be able to start an app in offline mode with data available to populate
    views. Is saving the relevant data to localStorage my only option with
    Firebase on a Angular/Phonegap application?

    Thank you.

    <javascript:>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/1b9cc312-a4aa-4e63-8df2-792601323b79%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/1b9cc312-a4aa-4e63-8df2-792601323b79%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Edouard GOOSSENS at Dec 10, 2015 at 5:57 pm
    Hey,

    I've been developing with Firebase's JS SDK on a Cordova project and I
    really love it.
    The full offline persistence feature is however quite critical to me. I've
    read many times that it's on the roadmap but no release dates are
    announced, which I can totally understand.
    So, has any progress been made on this feature? :)
    I just want to get a sense of how much I should think of a workaround or I
    can hope to use an official feature in the close future.

    Thanks and keep up the good work!
[...]

  • Jacob Wenger at Dec 10, 2015 at 6:17 pm
    Kato's answer on this other Google Groups thread
    <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/firebase-talk/GzV6itqYTRw/9Sno-jPxDwAJ>
    from a couple days ago is the definitive answer at the moment. Thanks for
    the positive kind words :)

    Cheers,
    Jacob

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/c5cc8c6e-426c-4688-89c0-67b68bbe8501%40googlegroups.com