I've been working in ionic lately and i have been interested in getting
involved in the back end of everything as well. I came across firebase due
to someones instant messaging app. I have been looking for a solution and
also some demos of seeing real time data updated across multiple devices.
MY question about firebase consist of string data and referencing dynamic
data. Seems from the reading i understand everything is saved in documents
as JSON. Retrieving that data is fine with me but archiving it seems more
like a MySQL thing? Im still somewhat new to the backend of things lately
ESPECIALLY with javascript and node.js. Im very familiar and have worked
for years with PHP and data storage and how to retrieve it for analysis and
mining etc etc. But none of that is real time. If something gets updated on
the database side obviously it doesn't automatically update to the list on
my phone without some corky code or some kind of experimental way. From my
understanding node.js and hosting like firebase can allow for this type of
API.

MY question lies with this. I don't need a messenger app. BUT, i do need to
be able to push data through the API or the push calls and add to a table
and have that show up on another admin device. My app is accepting data
from multiple devices. And based on criteria i need the ADMIN device to
update the list as the data builds. Certain things can push a row of data
to the top of the list since i will be querying the data. Now in my ionic
model, can i still pull that off with firebase by "re-querying" each time
based off of the new data coming in. ALSO, how do i store that data and
query it? I know the data model gets sent back to ionic, does that mean i
query the results in my controller?

The gist of my app is that it needs to become real time because certain
parameters (money) have been inserted into the mix and we need to not only
have real time data but also recategorized it. We also need to have the
data stored in a database for purposes of documentation and review/audit.
  In a single night i could have 300 PUSH calls to my JSON file and queried
many many times on my admin device. At the end of the day i still need to
be able to see that data and report on it. Datetime, userid, amount,
subject, etc etc etc.

To wrap it up i want to know how i can use firebase as a database tool as
well as a real time data tool across my devices. I need to better
understand how i could make that happen with the app i have described.

Thanks for any and all responses! Knowledge is power!

Thanks

  • Jacob Wenger at Jun 2, 2015 at 7:05 am
    Hi Brad,

    I'm not sure I totally followed your train of thought, but let me make a
    few comments:

        - Firebase should definitely be able to fulfill your use case, as far as
        I understand it.
        - Read our guide on writing data
        <https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/guide/saving-data.html> to learn how
        to save data to your Firebase.
        - As for "re-querying each time based off of the new data coming in,"
        you can do this pretty easily via the Firebase on()
        <https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/api/query/on.html> method. We also
        offer more advanced querying. You can read all of this in our guide on
        reading data
        <https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/guide/retrieving-data.html>.
        - You can grant "admin" privileges to a specific user by using our
        authentication service
        <https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/guide/user-auth.html> combined with our
        user-based security rules
        <https://www.firebase.com/docs/security/guide/user-security.html>.