i hope this question makes sense...
considering data in firebase under the path "firebase_url/posts" and a rule
".read": "auth != null"
where my goal is to have no data show up pre-authentication, and then have
the data to show up after login

all works well if i attach $scope.posts to the data using $firebase and
$asArray in a controller

however, if i move the $firebase ref and $asArray into a factory, and
access the factory from my controller,
then the data does not populate on login, i have to manually refresh the
browser after logging in to get the data to show up.

thanks for any help,

  • Jacob Wenger at Jan 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm
    Hey there,

    We don't really have enough details here to help you out. Can you please
    provide a minimum repro with JSFiddle or CodePen that shows your issue?
    Once we have something to debug we can help you resolve your issue.

    Thanks,
    Jacob
    considering data in firebase under the path "firebase_url/posts" and a
    rule ".read": "auth != null"
    where my goal is to have no data show up pre-authentication, and then have
    the data to show up after login

    all works well if i attach $scope.posts to the data using $firebase and
    $asArray in a controller

    however, if i move the $firebase ref and $asArray into a factory, and
    access the factory from my controller,
    then the data does not populate on login, i have to manually refresh the
    browser after logging in to get the data to show up.

    thanks for any help,

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/db00fb40-c8fe-4073-9612-78f2ed9c082c%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/db00fb40-c8fe-4073-9612-78f2ed9c082c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Cbenerofe at Jan 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm
    here is the issue reproduced on fiddle
    http://jsfiddle.net/cbenerofe/0kzwsyno/
    you can login with email = text@example.com password = test

    in the PostsCtrl controller there are two ways to set the $scope.posts
    variable
    when set with the $firebase in the controller, the data shows up after
    logging in.
    when set using the Post factory, then the fiddle needs to be re-run after
    logging in to have the data show up

    thanks for any help, i am looking forward to insight into what is going on.
    considering data in firebase under the path "firebase_url/posts" and a
    rule ".read": "auth != null"
    where my goal is to have no data show up pre-authentication, and then have
    the data to show up after login

    all works well if i attach $scope.posts to the data using $firebase and
    $asArray in a controller

    however, if i move the $firebase ref and $asArray into a factory, and
    access the factory from my controller,
    then the data does not populate on login, i have to manually refresh the
    browser after logging in to get the data to show up.

    thanks for any help,
  • Kato Richardson at Jan 12, 2015 at 6:10 pm
    Hello Craig,

    I don't see how this could be related to a controller vs a service--it
    functions the same in both cases. More likely, you changed the timing of
    the events when you refactored this code.

    If the data cannot be accessed until after the user is authenticated, then
    you'll need to wait until they authenticate to synchronize your array.
    Otherwise it's going to cause an error and no data will be synced.

    One simple wait to do this is to use $firebaseAuth::$waitForAuth, which
    returns a promise that will resolve when the user is authenticated.

    A better approach would be to use resolve
    <https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/libraries/angular/guide.html#section-routes>,
    which is described in the AF guide
    <https://www.firebase.com/docs/web/libraries/angular/guide.html>--I highly
    recommend you save yourself a ton of questions and thrashing and digest
    that guide first. The resolve approach, specifically, is a great
    abstraction as this avoids a bunch of if( authenticated ) then { ... } else
    { ... } logic.

    Cheers,
    Kato

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/9a7dd58c-5ec9-43a2-ae36-116c1a532a37%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/9a7dd58c-5ec9-43a2-ae36-116c1a532a37%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Cbenerofe at Jan 13, 2015 at 2:56 pm
    Kato,
    thanks for the response. i somehow thought the data would be automatically
    re-synced upon authorization.
    i updated my factories as below, and now it's working like i had hoped.
    http://jsfiddle.net/cbenerofe/Lkbj7q1d/

    app.factory('Post',['$firebase', 'FIREBASE_URL', 'Auth',
       function ($firebase, FIREBASE_URL, Auth) {
           var sync;
           var posts;
           Auth.$onAuth( function(authData) {
             if (authData) {
                sync = $firebase(new Firebase(FIREBASE_URL + '/posts'));
                posts = sync.$asArray();
             }
           });
         var Post = {
             all: function() {
                 return posts;
             },
         };
         return Post;
    }]);

    app.factory('Auth', ['$firebase', '$firebaseAuth', 'FIREBASE_URL' ,
       function($firebase, $firebaseAuth, FIREBASE_URL) {
         var ref = new Firebase(FIREBASE_URL);
         return $firebaseAuth(ref);
       }
    ]);

    On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:07 AM, cbenerofe <cr...@benerofes.com
[...]

    <javascript:>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/9a7dd58c-5ec9-43a2-ae36-116c1a532a37%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/9a7dd58c-5ec9-43a2-ae36-116c1a532a37%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Kato Richardson at Jan 13, 2015 at 3:46 pm
    This seems like a fine solution. I would still recommend checking out
    routes and resolve--quite a bit more elegant as you don't need auth logic
    inside your service this way.

    For example, if auth is lost at some point, your Post service (which is a
    singleton is going to be lost and cannot be recovered since there is no way
    to re-establish). This is a side-effect of this superfluous wrapping Post
    service with an `all` method that returns a predefined singleton.
    Personally, I have a great deal better luck with services constructed
    closer to the angularFire-seed
    <https://github.com/firebase/angularFire-seed> strategy, where we just
    check auth at the route level, so it's never a concern, and return a
    function from our services that can be called multiple times.

    You can still reduce some of this coupling without routes/resolves, if
    those are not your cup of tea.

    https://gist.github.com/katowulf/eb8f9c24629f6a04464b

    Of course, this is all theory and preference. Just hoping to provide some
    ideas that may save work later.

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/f049ce15-2bb2-4a4e-a31b-f44199a7c2e4%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/f049ce15-2bb2-4a4e-a31b-f44199a7c2e4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Cbenerofe at Jan 13, 2015 at 4:40 pm
    thanks again Kato, i needed some guidance (both angular and firebase are
    new to me...)
    my next step is to dig into the angularFire-seed

    On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 7:56 AM, cbenerofe <cr...@benerofes.com