Hi,

     I'm working AngularJS + Firebase web application. Here I'm trying to
fetch records from service by page wise. That is working fine whenever i
inserted data without setWithPriority() method, but whenever I inserted
data with setWithPriority() method that is not working properly. Below is
my code for pagination in coffeeScript.

Thanks in advance for any help

Chinna

#### code in app.factory ####

   getUsersRef = new Firebase BASEURI + 'users'

   pageNext = (id, noOfRecords, cb) ->
     getUsersRef.startAt(null, id).limit(noOfRecords).once('value',
(snapshot) ->
       cb _.values snapshot.val()
     )

   pageBack = (id, noOfRecords, cb) ->
     getUsersRef.endAt(null, id).limit(noOfRecords).once('value', (snapshot)
->
       cb _.values snapshot.val()
     )

### Code in Controller ####

getQuery = UsersFactory.usersRef
$scope.pageNumber = 0
$scope.lastPageNumber = null
recordsPerPage = 5
bottomRecord = null
$scope.noPrevious = true
$scope.userslist = {}

getQuery.startAt().limit(recordsPerPage).on('value', (snapshot) ->
     $scope.userslist = _.values snapshot.val()
     bottomRecord = $scope.userslist[$scope.userslist.length - 1]
     if bottomRecord
       UsersFactory.pageNext(bottomRecord.id, recordsPerPage + 1, (res) ->
         if res
           $scope.noNext = res.length <= 1
       )
     else
       $scope.noNext = true
     return
   )

   $scope.pageNext = ->
     $scope.pageNumber++
     $scope.noPrevious = false
     bottomRecord = $scope.userslist[$scope.userslist.length - 1]
     UsersFactory.pageNext(bottomRecord.id, recordsPerPage + 1, (res) ->
       if res
         res.shift()
         $scope.userslist = res
         bottomRecord = $scope.userslist[$scope.userslist.length - 1]
     )
     UsersFactory.pageNext(bottomRecord.id, recordsPerPage + 1, (res) ->
       if res
         $scope.noNext = res.length <= 1
     )

   $scope.pageBack = ->
     $scope.pageNumber--
     $scope.noNext = false
     topRecord = $scope.userslist[0]
     UsersFactory.pageBack(topRecord.id, recordsPerPage + 1, (res) ->
       if res
         res.pop()
         $scope.userslist = res
         $scope.noPrevious = $scope.pageNumber is 0
     )

  • Jacob Wenger at Sep 15, 2014 at 6:36 am
    Hey Chinna,

    It's going to be hard for us to understand and debug that huge block of
    code, especially since I've never used CoffeeScript. Also, I don't see the
    code that actually writes to Firebase. It is going to be hard to figure out
    what went wrong without that piece of the puzzle as well. Please put
    together a minimum repro of your issue in a CodePen, Plunker, JSFiddle,
    etc. and send us a link to that. Then we can actually debug the code live
    and send you a fixed version of the code.

    Is there a reason why you need to use priorities here? Maybe if you explain
    your use case we can figure out a simpler way to solve your problem.

    This GitHub issue <https://github.com/firebase/angularfire/issues/353> may
    be of some interest to you. It links to some other materials on this page
    as well.

    Finally, I'll leave you with some words from my coworker Kato:

    "Infinite scroll is a tough topic and David, one of our amazing Dev.
    Evangelists, has been working on some ideas for a library to make this
    faster and easier. We also have some query enhancements coming out that
    will help with pagination in general.

    For now, you'll have a tough time getting this to work in AngularFire
    because you need to change the underlying reference, which AngularFire
    isn't really equipped to handle. So falling back to vanilla Firebase is a
    good solution here.

    Another possibility (the one David's library will likely adopt) would be to
    wrap the Firebase reference and pass the wrapped version into AngularFire
    (like we do with Firebase-util references), with some utilities on it that
    handle the infinite scroll portion."

    Jacob
[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/b7b8891d-2aac-4cd5-a544-0504d0417635%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/b7b8891d-2aac-4cd5-a544-0504d0417635%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Alejandro Mendoza at Sep 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    Hi Jacob,

    I've been using Angular Fire for a while and I found that pagination for
    infinite scroll is very difficult to create, more if you want your data to
    be in sync with firebase all the time. Also there's not a method to query
    chunks of data without having to get all the keys and the do startAt(null,
    key). Here's my best approach to this
    issue, http://jsfiddle.net/alejandromendoza/3WcWu/62/

    I would appreciate if you give me some feedback.

    Thank you,

    Alejandro

  • David East at Sep 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm
    Hi Alejandro,

    Infinite scroll is quite the beast to tame!

    Your implementation looks pretty good. The one drawback is having to grab
    all of the data rather than add to the new set every time a scroll occurs.
    This is a limitation of the library right now. We plan on releasing a
    pagination and infinite scrolling utility in the near future that makes
    these actions a lot easier.

    I've been using Angular Fire for a while and I found that pagination for
    infinite scroll is very difficult to create, more if you want your data to
    be in sync with firebase all the time. Also there's not a method to query
    chunks of data without having to get all the keys and the do startAt(null,
    key). Here's my best approach to this issue,
    http://jsfiddle.net/alejandromendoza/3WcWu/62/

    I would appreciate if you give me some feedback.

    Thank you,

    Alejandro
  • Alejandro Mendoza at Sep 22, 2014 at 5:12 am
    Hi David,

    Thank you for your reply, this method has worked for me so far. I would
    appreciate it if you keep me posted when firebase releases the pagination
    method.

    Best,

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/38886543-3549-4d2e-b4be-cc03f941ffd1%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/38886543-3549-4d2e-b4be-cc03f941ffd1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • David East at Sep 22, 2014 at 5:11 am
    Not a problem, Alejandro. We'll make an announcement on this form when we
    have it released.
[...]

  • Henry H at Mar 30, 2015 at 2:32 pm
    Hi David - any updates on the status of integrating pagination into
    firebase?

    Thanks!

    On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM, David East <da...@firebase.com
[...]

    <javascript:>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/38886543-3549-4d2e-b4be-cc03f941ffd1%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/38886543-3549-4d2e-b4be-cc03f941ffd1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Kato Richardson at Mar 30, 2015 at 2:49 pm
    Our Paginate/Infinite scroll tools were released as part of
    http://firebase.github.io/firebase-util/.

    Cheers,
    Kato

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/0640809f-70c4-4340-bd60-8d4236e824da%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/0640809f-70c4-4340-bd60-8d4236e824da%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Henry H at Mar 31, 2015 at 2:16 am
    Awesome Kato, thanks for pointing this out! Would have never found it. I'll take a look.

  • Alejandro Mendoza at Apr 6, 2015 at 5:17 pm
    Amazing Kato! will take a look and test.

    Thanks!

    On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Henry H <appl...@gmail.com <javascript:>>