Hey folks,

I'm missing something.

I've got a something from firebase which I can iterate on in the template,
but I'd like to monkey with the data in the controller. But maybe that's
not ok?

The problem is the keys:

    - * -3*
       - * -JSVkOs7vCXh1iBAzxsi: *74
       -
    - * -2*
       - * -JSVnT2OqIdZ3IvJ2zjd: *4

It ends up looking like {*-JSVkOs7vCXh1iBAzxsi: *74} in the code. How do I
peel off the value and ignore the unique key either in the controller or in
the template?

Thanks!

Jaems

  • Jacob Wenger at Jul 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm
    Hey James,

    It looks like you are trying to use arrays. Lucky for you, we are greatly
    improving the AngularFire array support (among many other things) with our
    upcoming 0.8 release. The new $FirebaseArray will save you a lot of time.
    While it will be another week or so until we officially launch 0.8, the API
    is practically frozen and I'd suggest moving to it, especially if this is a
    new project. It will save you a lot of time. You can grab the code in our release_0.8
    branch on GitHub <https://github.com/firebase/angularFire/tree/release_0.8>.
    Here are the current API docs
    <http://firebase.github.io/angularFire/flatdoc.html> to get you started.
    Check out our examples for $FirebaseArray.

    If you do want to do this in 0.7.x, you should check out our orderByPriority
    example in our API documentation
    <https://www.firebase.com/docs/angular/reference.html#orderbypriority>:

    <ul ng-repeat="item in items | orderByPriority">
       <li>
         <input type="text" id="{{ item.$id }}" ng-model="item.$priority" />
         {{ item.name }}
       </li>
    </ul>

    The item value within each loop iteration should contain what you want.

    Jacob
    I've got a something from firebase which I can iterate on in the template,
    but I'd like to monkey with the data in the controller. But maybe that's
    not ok?

    The problem is the keys:

    - * -3*
    - * -JSVkOs7vCXh1iBAzxsi: *74
    -
    - * -2*
    - * -JSVnT2OqIdZ3IvJ2zjd: *4

    It ends up looking like {*-JSVkOs7vCXh1iBAzxsi: *74} in the code. How do
    I peel off the value and ignore the unique key either in the controller or
    in the template?

    Thanks!

    Jaems
  • Jake Heller at Jul 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm
    Hey Jacob,

    I just read through the Firebase 0.8.0 docs. Are these changes breaking
    (i.e., I can't just use 0.8.0 with my 0.7.x app)?

    Upon a quick first glance at the docs, it looks that way. For example,
    instead of saying $scope.items = $firebase(ref), I need to specify whether
    it's an array or an object everywhere I do this. It also looks like $add
    has been replaced by $push in some circumstances.

    If that's the case, is there any guarantee that the changes in 0.8.x will
    carry all the way through to a stable 1.0 release? If not, should we just
    keep the app frozen at 0.7.x and wait to port over everything when things
    settle down a bit?

    Best,
    Jake
[...]

  • Michael Wulf at Jul 24, 2014 at 7:08 pm
    Jake,

    The API is fairly stable at 0.8, but there could be changes based on
    feedback we receive from the community. There may also be additional
    changes when the next iteration of the Firebase API rolls out later this
    year.

    Whether you should port or wait depends on how badly you want array
    functionality.

    Regards,

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/0c6a7e19-e8c8-45d8-a832-1c0846935bdb%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/0c6a7e19-e8c8-45d8-a832-1c0846935bdb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Jake Heller at Jul 24, 2014 at 7:17 pm
    Thanks for the explanation. We'll probably stick with 0.7.x for now --
    we're pretty happy with where we are :)

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/CAFHX4%3DqxR-FgrdKYzFiTLpMyUYcXYXra1AwGFAMayAVy%3DUWC7A%40mail.gmail.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/CAFHX4%3DqxR-FgrdKYzFiTLpMyUYcXYXra1AwGFAMayAVy%3DUWC7A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Jacob Wenger at Jul 24, 2014 at 8:40 pm