Hey everyone,

My name is David and I'm a developer advocate here at Firebase.

We're working on making some improvements to the AngularFire seed project
with the upcoming release of AngularFire 0.8. To make sure this will be
helpful, I'm curious to see how everyone is going about loading data in
their AngularFire apps. This process can get hairy when you're doing a lot
of binding, so it would be interesting to see how everyone is handling this.

One technique I've found useful is using the resolving data into your
routes. This allows us to load the data before the view is loaded, and
removing the need to load everything in your controllers.

You can see an example in Plunker here.
<http://plnkr.co/edit/xH0QN2?p=preview>

We'd love to hear people's thoughts on this and see what their currently
doing! You can reply to this post or email me off-list at
david@firebase.com.

  • Tyler McGinnis at Jul 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm
    Hey David,
    I'm current writing a blogging platform that utilizes Firebase, so lots of
    'CRUD'y stuff going on. Because I don't necessarily need tons of 3-way
    binding going on, I currently have a service that is handling most of my
    Firebase requests and caches the response if necessary. I then resolve that
    data for any controller where I need it. So like the way you mentioned
    above, but very heavily reliant on services and caching firebase responses.

    Tyler

  • Kendall Reid at Jul 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm
    If the data comes via routing (I'm using ui-router) in the resolve option,
    my understanding is the data is then passed to the controller. I'm a newbie
    so sorry if I sound "green" but is the three way binding retained doing
    things this way? Thx! I.e. from that point onwards $scope still syncs with
    the backend and visa versa

    I'm current writing a blogging platform that utilizes Firebase, so lots of
    'CRUD'y stuff going on. Because I don't necessarily need tons of 3-way
    binding going on, I currently have a service that is handling most of my
    Firebase requests and caches the response if necessary. I then resolve that
    data for any controller where I need it. So like the way you mentioned
    above, but very heavily reliant on services and caching firebase responses.

    Tyler

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/4cc2c620-f139-4880-8bae-8df6ab24b21a%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/4cc2c620-f139-4880-8bae-8df6ab24b21a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Piotr Kaminski at Jul 18, 2014 at 11:02 pm
    Hey David,

    I'm using altfire <https://github.com/pkaminski/altfire> instead of
    AngularFire -- you can see a medium-size app that uses it here
    <https://github.com/Learnful/learnful>. The library is far from complete
    (no array handling, for one) but I've found it fits my needs better. Feel
    free to crib whatever or ask me about the design rationales if you're
    interested. Cheers,

         -- P.

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/7acb2272-7ef7-4e6e-bad7-5193b884980c%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebase-angular/7acb2272-7ef7-4e6e-bad7-5193b884980c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

       Piotr Kaminski <piotr@ideanest.com>
       "That bun is dirty. Don't eat that bun."

  • Timo dee at Jul 20, 2014 at 5:31 am
    Hi David,

    I use a similar approach like you do. But instead of the user data I could
    get via currentUser I need my additional user data like firstname, team,
    ... . AngularFire couldn't provide me a promise at the moment (or I haven't
    found a way to get one). So I use a raw firebase approach to create a
    promise which will be resolved when the user data is loaded.

    Timo

    My name is David and I'm a developer advocate here at Firebase.

    We're working on making some improvements to the AngularFire seed project
    with the upcoming release of AngularFire 0.8. To make sure this will be
    helpful, I'm curious to see how everyone is going about loading data in
    their AngularFire apps. This process can get hairy when you're doing a lot
    of binding, so it would be interesting to see how everyone is handling this.

    One technique I've found useful is using the resolving data into your
    routes. This allows us to load the data before the view is loaded, and
    removing the need to load everything in your controllers.

    You can see an example in Plunker here.
    <http://plnkr.co/edit/xH0QN2?p=preview>

    We'd love to hear people's thoughts on this and see what their currently
    doing! You can reply to this post or email me off-list at
    da...@firebase.com <javascript:>.
  • David East at Jul 29, 2014 at 11:36 pm
    Hey Everyone,

    Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about the delayed response, we've been quite
    busy with the new docs release.

    I've been seeing that a lot of people (myself included) are using
    ui-router. We plan on upgrading our AngularFire seed project to use
    ui-router as well. Are there any features you would find helpful in a seed
    type project?

    da...@firebase.com.