I'm in the process of designing an internal system and I'm having trouble
designing the model so that it will function as I need it.

The basic idea is that everything is "Season" based, where a season is a
year (2014, 2015, etc)

From the there we have Events and the the Seasons they are functioning in,
(Event 1 (2014, 2015, etc) , Event 2 (2014, 2015, etc))

Then there are people who may be active any given year for a specific Event:

Bob Smith, 2014, Event 1 & Event 2
                   2015, Event 2
                   2016, Event 1

I have created a Season & Event Models:

class EventSeason(models.Model):
     season = models.IntegerField(max_length=4, primary_key=True)

class Event(models.Model):
     attraction = models.CharField(max_length=30, null=True, blank=False)
     seasons = models.ManyToManyField(EventSeason)

I have created the base person model and all the other fields for them
(Address, etc) but I'm not sire how I to tie them to the seasons and events
so that each season and event pair is maintained going forward. So for
example I could historically lookup people from Event 1, 2014, for example.

Hope this makes sense, thank you for any help,
Chris

  • Venkatraman S at Apr 29, 2014 at 11:51 am
    Why not have separate models for Event and Season and then use an
    intermediate table to capture the M2M between event occurrences and Person.

    I'm in the process of designing an internal system and I'm having trouble
    designing the model so that it will function as I need it.

    The basic idea is that everything is "Season" based, where a season is a
    year (2014, 2015, etc)

    From the there we have Events and the the Seasons they are functioning in,

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/cb81298e-b056-47fe-9b3a-4f4e2e3cfe18%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/cb81298e-b056-47fe-9b3a-4f4e2e3cfe18%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .