I am building a new site in Django 1.4 and I'm using the South migration
tool to keep my dev MySQL database in sync with changes made to my models.
It should be said that I use one MySQL database account to serve various
Django projects/apps (confusing, yes). It all seems to be working fine
until I attempt to open up the Admin site from the project currently in
development (bus/certs/admin/).

It *appears* that the autodiscover is trying to find a model "Listing" that
is no longer in existence, but did exist in earlier development stages. I
deleted that model and have since run a South migration to extend that
deletion to the database. That seems to have worked fine. What did not
seem to happen is the removal of references to the "listing" table in the
django_content_type and auth_permission tables, so I removed those manually
thinking the autodiscover might be "seeing" those entries and subsequently
attempting to find the model in "bus_models.models". That seems to have
made no difference, the error still exists.

Not sure if this matters or not, but I had initially used the admin up in a
separate project ("deans" vs. "certs") and it still works. It even still
lists the "Bus_models.Listing" model and only fails once I click on that
link...gives me a "Table does not exist" error, as I would expect. This
does make me think, however, that there is a lingering pointer somewhere
that I'm unable to locate.

I can reliably cause this error to occur and go away again by
uncommenting/commenting the following lines in my
bus(app)/certs(proj)/urls.py file:

from django.contrib import admin
admin.autodiscover()
(r'^apps/bus/certs/admin/', include(admin.site.urls)),

Here is the traceback of the error page that shows up when the above are
uncommented (no matter what url I use):
Environment:

Request Method: GET
Request URL: https://local.utexas.edu:8000/apps/bus/certs/application/1256/

Django Version: 1.4.3
Python Version: 2.6.7
Installed Applications:
('django.contrib.auth',
  'django.contrib.contenttypes',
  'django.contrib.sessions',
  'django.contrib.sites',
  'django.contrib.messages',
  'django.contrib.staticfiles',
  'django.contrib.admin',
  'utdirect',
  'bus.certs.application',
  'bus.certs.listing',
  'bus.certs.common',
  'bus.certs.bus_shared_common',
  'bus.certs.bus_models',
  'debug_toolbar',
  'ut_debug_toolbar',
  'south')
Installed Middleware:
('django.middleware.gzip.GZipMiddleware',
  'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
  'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
  'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
  'utdirect.middleware.HttpHeaderMiddleware',
  'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
  'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware',
  'django.middleware.clickjacking.XFrameOptionsMiddleware',
  'debug_toolbar.middleware.DebugToolbarMiddleware')

Traceback:
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py"
in get_response
   89. response = middleware_method(request)
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/utdirect/middleware.py"
in process_request
   160. request.urlconf = _build_urlconf(request)
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/utdirect/middleware.py"
in _build_urlconf
   123. class URLPatterns(object):
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/utdirect/middleware.py"
in URLPatterns
   130. url('', include(original_urlconf)),
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/conf/urls/__init__.py"
in include
   24. urlconf_module = import_module(urlconf_module)
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py"
in import_module
   35. __import__(name)
File "/pype/bus/certs/urls.py" in <module>
   7. admin.autodiscover()
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/__init__.py"
in autodiscover
   29. import_module('%s.admin' % app)
File
"/usr/local/env/26.3.4a/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py"
in import_module
   35. __import__(name)

Exception Type: NameError at /apps/bus/certs/application/1256/
Exception Value: name 'Listing' is not defined

Lastly, I have searched in as many ways I can think to search for any
reference to "Listing" in the database and code base, but cannot find
anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

  • Vincenzo Prignano at Nov 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    'bus.certs.listing' is this entry in your installed apps referring to the
    "Listing" models perhaps? We can't really help you with much more info btw.
[...]

  • Keith Edmiston at Nov 8, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    Sorry...I was trying to be careful of not putting so much info in the email
    that it became too much.

    My project structure is (in part):
    --bus/certs
    _ application
    _ __init__
    _ models.py --> empty, using common/models.py & bus_models/models.py
    _ urls.py
    _ views.py
    _ bus_models (svn: externals)
    _ __init__
    _ models.py --> Person
    _ bus_shared_common (svn: externals)
    _ __init__
    _ static (css, js, etc.)
    _ templates
    _ common
    _ __init__
    _ models.py --> Program, Status, Application, Notes, Action,
    Correspondence
    _ listing
    _ __init__
    _ models.py --> empty, using common/models.py & bus_models/models.py
    _ urls.py --> only one regex so far..."listing", which calls
    "listing" in views.py
    _ views.py --> "listing" function
    So, in answer to your question Vincenzo, bus.certs.listing does not make a
    call to any model just yet. Thanks for suggesting I look though.

    Keith

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4b59f61d-4537-42c8-af0a-79daa04aa19a%40googlegroups.com
    .

    Keith Edmiston
    (512)970-7222

  • Vincenzo Prignano at Nov 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    Can you post the line in urls.py that is calling the view function?

    On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Vincenzo Prignano <vincenzo...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Keith Edmiston at Nov 8, 2013 at 8:05 pm
    bus/certs/urls.py:

    from django.conf.urls import patterns, url, include
    from django.conf import settings
    from bus.certs.views import index

    from django.contrib import admin
    admin.autodiscover()
    urlpatterns = patterns('',
                            (r'^apps/bus/certs/$', index),
                            (r'^apps/bus/certs/index$', index),
                            (r'^apps/bus/certs/listing/',
    include('bus.certs.listing.urls')),
                            (r'^apps/bus/certs/application/',
    include('bus.certs.application.urls')),
                            (r'^apps/bus/certs/admin/',
    include(admin.site.urls)),
                            )

    bus/certs/listing/urls.py:

    from django.conf.urls import patterns, url, include
    from django.conf import settings
    from listing.views import listing

    # Uncomment the next two lines to enable the admin:
    # from django.contrib import admin
    # admin.autodiscover()
    urlpatterns = patterns('bus.certs.listing.views',
                            (r'^$', listing, {}, 'listing'),
                            )

    bus/certs/application/urls.py:

    from django.conf.urls import patterns, url, include
    from django.conf import settings
    from application.views import application_view, application_submit,
    application_update

    # Uncomment the next two lines to enable the admin:
    #from django.contrib import admin
    #admin.autodiscover()

    urlpatterns = patterns('bus.certs.application.views',
                            (r'^(?P<app_id>\d+)/$', application_view, {},
    'application_view'),
                            (r'^update/(?P<app_id>\d+)/$', application_update,
    {}, 'application_update'),
                            (r'^submit/$', application_submit, {},
    'application_submit'),
                            #(r'^admin/', include(admin.site.urls)),
                            )

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/50a407f4-7baf-48e1-9d4e-2c85665df856%40googlegroups.com
    .

    Keith Edmiston
    (512)970-7222

  • Keith Edmiston at Nov 9, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    Bumping this up once more just in case someone may have any
    thoughts...still a problem that has me stumped. Thanks, in advance, for
    ideas.

    Keith

    Request URL: https://local.utexas.edu:8000/apps/bus/certs/application/125<https://local.utexas.edu:8000/apps/bus/certs/application/1256/>

    --
    Keith Edmiston
    (512)970-7222

    --
    Keith Edmiston
    (512)970-7222

  • Vincenzo Prignano at Nov 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm
    Sorry but I still can’t see the problem here. You are by the way using an old Django version and an old Python version. That’s the only thing I can think about right now.

    --
    Vincenzo Prignano

[...]

  • Keith Edmiston at Nov 11, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    UPDATE: this problem was caused by latent .pyc files on my localhost
    machine. Deletion of those removed this issue.

    Thanks for the help.

    Keith

    Sent with Sparrow <http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig>