Whenever I am working on small projects, it seems like an overkill to
create an app usually with the same name as the website (and the project's
name with a small modification). For instance, if I am creating a project
for a small intranet application called Foo. I usually end up with a
structure like:

foosite/
├── foo
│ ├── __init__.py
│ ├── models.py
│ ├── templates/
│ ├── tests.py
│ └── views.py
├── foosite
│ ├── __init__.py
│ ├── __init__.pyc
│ ├── settings.py
│ ├── settings.pyc
│ ├── urls.py
│ └── wsgi.py
└── manage.py

This seems quite redundant to me. Also foo contains all the assorted things
which cannot be reused anyway. Is there a simpler way to implement this? I
mean something similar to the original (pre-1.2?) structure of having
models, templates and views in the initial directory itself?

Otherwise can we explicitly create models, templates and views in foosite
itself and turn it into an app? I like this approach for smaller sites and
for functionality which cannot be abstracted into a separate app. Ideally I
would've preferred something flat, since "Flat is better than nested".

Would like to know the community's views on this? Any pros and cons would
be great too.

Thanks,
Arun