Hi guys,

I have a question. I am working on an application that i can use as a
starting point for my future projects.

I have a core application that has CommonFields abstract model defined as:

from django.db import models
from django.contrib.auth.models import User

class CommonFields(models.Model):

     created = models.DateTimeField(editable=False, auto_now_add=True)
     created_by = models.ForeignKey(User, related_name="created",
editable=False)
     modified = models.DateTimeField(editable=False, auto_now=True)
     modified_by = models.ForeignKey(User, related_name="modified",
editable=False)
     deleted = models.DateTimeField(editable=False)
     deleted_by = models.ForeignKey(User, related_name="deleted",
editable=False)

     class Meta:
         abstract = True

All other models inherit this one.
I want to populate this fields automatically, something like
  auto_now_add=True but for *_by fields where i want to add current user, is
there any way that i could do this?

  • Mike Dewhirst at Oct 24, 2013 at 6:09 am

[...]

    Yes.

    See p257-263 of the first edition of Pro Django by Marty Alchin. He
    discusses a custom field (CurrentUserField) and middleware to
    auto-populate it whenever a model is saved. I see there is a second
    edition recently released. I found the entire book to be very valuable.

    Recommended

    Mike

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/15abf5dd-bbe4-4a24-bec2-901ea225f607%40googlegroups.com.