Is it likely that a typical Clojure development environment:

- LightTable instarepl
- Luminus web app running within `lein ring server`

.... will consume significantly more battery power than a typical Rails
environment:

- Vim
- Rails app running within `rail server`

It's just that I've noticed my new-ish Macbook Pro doesn't last as long
per charge as before I started development with Clojure and LightTable.
I'm aware that the JVM allocates significantly more RAM by default and
LightTable is RAM-hungry but I'm wondering if that implies increased
power consumption? I'm on Mountain Lion so don't have the new Activity
Monitor feature for checking this.

gvim

---

  • Timothy Baldridge at Jan 20, 2014 at 3:47 am
    One thing that will totally kill MBP batter performance is if the system
    decides do kick over to dedicated graphics. I highly recommend this app:
    http://gfx.io/ It'll put an icon in the top right of your screen that shows
    which GFX card is in use. On my 2012 MBP I get about 6 hours of life on the
    integrated graphics and about 1.5 on heavy use with the dedicated graphics.

    Now this all may sound like nonsense until you realize that LightTable is
    based on Webkit and that the entire UI is rendered via a combination of Web
    DOMs and Canvas objects. 9/10 times, a website using canvas will kick my
    machine into dedicated GFX mode.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that a different editor would
    dramatically improve battery life. On my MBP running Emacs LIVE (which has
    never been accused of being light on CPU usage), I can get about 4-5 hours
    of Clojure development before needing to plug in.

    Hope this helps,

    Timothy Baldridge

    Is it likely that a typical Clojure development environment:

    - LightTable instarepl
    - Luminus web app running within `lein ring server`

    .... will consume significantly more battery power than a typical Rails
    environment:

    - Vim
    - Rails app running within `rail server`

    It's just that I've noticed my new-ish Macbook Pro doesn't last as long
    per charge as before I started development with Clojure and LightTable. I'm
    aware that the JVM allocates significantly more RAM by default and
    LightTable is RAM-hungry but I'm wondering if that implies increased power
    consumption? I'm on Mountain Lion so don't have the new Activity Monitor
    feature for checking this.

    gvim

    Groups "Clojure" group.
    email to clojure+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    “One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
    zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
    programs.”
    (Robert Firth)

    ---
  • Gvim at Jan 20, 2014 at 3:55 am
    Good points about the graphics, Tim. Do you have any idea if the JVM's
    RAM requirement in itself takes more power from the system than
    developing, say, a Rails app in Vim? One pisser with my new-ish Macbook
    Pro is there's no such thing as a spare battery.

    gvim

[...]

  • John walker at Jan 20, 2014 at 5:43 am
    The JVM hasn't been receiving the love it deserves lately! Fortunately,
    percent memory usage isn't going to have any effect on battery life until
    you hit swap. The resources you should consider are just activity on the
    cpu/gpu/disk.

    So yeah, it's light table. It's not its fault for being released ~2014.
[...]

  • Gvim at Jan 20, 2014 at 5:53 am