Drift is a Rails like migration library for Clojure.

I've recently released version 1.4.0 of Drift which includes:

A new Java interface. You can now run Drift migrations, find out the
database version, or determine the highest migration number from java.

User generated migration numbers and time stamp migration numbers. You
can now create your own migration number generator or use one of the
ones included with Drift. By default, Drift will now create the
migration number from the current time. You can still use the old
incremental migration number generator if you want.

You can find the code for Drift on Github: http://github.com/macourtney/drift

Drift on Clojars: http://clojars.org/drift

  • Edmund at Nov 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm
    Hello,

    Thanks for this library, it'll really help me out. I'm a little
    stuck on getting bootstrapped, can you perhaps give me some guidance ?
    Basically I'm stuck at step 5, attempting to create my first
    migration, what am I missing ?

    Thanks,

    Edmund

    Steps taken
    1. Added to :dev-dependencies in project.clj
    [drift "1.4.0"]
    [org.drift-db/drift-db-mysql "1.0.4"]

    2. Created a table to hold the version number inserted 0
    create table schema_migrations (
    version int not null primary key
    ) engine InnoDB;

    3. Created src/config/migrate_config.clj
    (ns config.migrate-config
    (:require [clojure.contrib.sql :as sql]))

    (defonce DB (atom {:classname "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
    :subprotocol "mysql"
    :subname "//mysql-server:3306/bookkeeper"
    :user "user"
    :password "password"
    :auto-commit true
    :fetch-size 500}))

    (defn db-version []
    (sql/with-connection DB
    (sql/with-query-results res
    ["select version from schema_migrations limit 1"]
    (:version (first res)))))

    (defn update-db-version [version]
    (sql/with-connection DB
    (sql/insert-values :schema_migrations [:version] [version])))

    (defn migrate-config []
    {:directory "/db/migrations"
    :current-version db-version
    :update-version update-db-version})

    4. Run lein deps to grab the deps

    5. Attempted to create a migration, or get something going

    $ lein create-migration first
    Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 57528
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
    clojure.lang.KeywordLookupSite.(Util.java:165)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6476)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6455)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.load(Compiler.java:6902)
    at clojure.lang.RT.loadResourceScript(RT.java:357)
    at clojure.lang.RT.loadResourceScript(RT.java:348)
    at clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:427)
    at clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:398)
    at clojure.core$load$fn__4610.invoke(core.clj:5386)
    at clojure.core$load.doInvoke(core.clj:5385)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:408)
    at clojure.core$load_one.invoke(core.clj:5200)
    at clojure.core$load_lib.doInvoke(core.clj:5237)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:142)
    at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602)
    at clojure.core$load_libs.doInvoke(core.clj:5271)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:137)
    at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602)
    at clojure.core$require.doInvoke(core.clj:5352)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:421)
    at drift.generator$eval5$loading__4505__auto____6.invoke(generator.clj:1)
    at drift.generator$eval5.invoke(generator.clj:1)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6465)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6455)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.load(Compiler.java:6902)
    at clojure.lang.RT.loadResourceScript(RT.java:357)
    at clojure.lang.RT.loadResourceScript(RT.java:348)
    at clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:427)
    at clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:398)
    at clojure.core$load$fn__4610.invoke(core.clj:5386)
    at clojure.core$load.doInvoke(core.clj:5385)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:408)
    at clojure.core$load_one.invoke(core.clj:5200)
    at clojure.core$load_lib.doInvoke(core.clj:5237)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:142)
    at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602)
    at clojure.core$load_libs.doInvoke(core.clj:5271)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:137)
    at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602)
    at clojure.core$require.doInvoke(core.clj:5352)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:408)
    at user$eval1.invoke(NO_SOURCE_FILE:1)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6465)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6454)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6431)
    at clojure.core$eval.invoke(core.clj:2795)
    at clojure.main$eval_opt.invoke(main.clj:296)
    at clojure.main$initialize.invoke(main.clj:315)
    at clojure.main$null_opt.invoke(main.clj:348)
    at clojure.main$main.doInvoke(main.clj:426)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:421)
    at clojure.lang.Var.invoke(Var.java:405)
    at clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper(AFn.java:163)
    at clojure.lang.Var.applyTo(Var.java:518)
    at clojure.main.main(main.java:37)
    Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
    clojure.lang.KeywordLookupSite.(core.clj:25)
    at drift.core__init.load(Unknown Source)
    at drift.core__init.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    at clojure.lang.RT.loadClassForName(RT.java:2030)
    at clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:417)
    at clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:398)
    at clojure.core$load$fn__4610.invoke(core.clj:5386)
    at clojure.core$load.doInvoke(core.clj:5385)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:408)
    at clojure.core$load_one.invoke(core.clj:5200)
    at clojure.core$load_lib.doInvoke(core.clj:5237)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:142)
    at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602)
    at clojure.core$load_libs.doInvoke(core.clj:5271)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:137)
    at clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602)
    at clojure.core$require.doInvoke(core.clj:5352)
    at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:457)
    at drift.builder$eval11$loading__4505__auto____12.invoke(builder.clj:1)
    at drift.builder$eval11.invoke(builder.clj:1)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6465)
    ... 53 more

    Drift is a Rails like migration library for Clojure.

    I've recently released version 1.4.0 of Drift which includes:

    A new Java interface. You can now run Drift migrations, find out
    the database version, or determine the highest migration number
    from java.

    User generated migration numbers and time stamp migration numbers.
    You can now create your own migration number generator or use one
    of the ones included with Drift. By default, Drift will now create
    the migration number from the current time. You can still use the
    old incremental migration number generator if you want.

    You can find the code for Drift on Github:
    http://github.com/macourtney/drift

    Drift on Clojars: http://clojars.org/drift
  • Matt at Nov 27, 2011 at 12:39 am
    It looks like a bug in Drift. Try adding an init function which takes
    one argument but doesn't do anything.

    Your new migrate-config should look something like:

    (defn migrate-config []
    {:init (fn [_] )
    :directory "/db/migrations"
    :current-version db-version
    :update-version update-db-version})

    Let me know if that does the trick and I'll fix the bug in Drift.

[...]

    clojure.lang.KeywordLookupSite.<init>(ILclojure/lang/Keyword;)V
    at clojure.lang.Util.runtimeException(Util.java:165)
[...]
    at drift.core$find_init_fn.<clinit>(core.clj:25)
[...]

  • Edmund at Nov 27, 2011 at 11:58 am
    Sadly, there is no improvement. I've made a minimal project to
    demonstrate. Literally

    - lein new tdrift
    - modify project.clj
    - add migration-config.clj
    - add appropriate migration directory
    - lein deps
    - lein create-migration

    I've put it up on github (https://github.com/ejackson/tdrift).
    Perhaps if we can git it to work we can get to the bottom of this ?

    Thank for the help here,

    Edmund

[...]

    at address: 57528 Exception in thread "main"
    java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
[...]
    at drift.core$find_init_fn.<clinit>(core.clj:25) at
    drift.core__init.load(Unknown Source) at
    drift.core__init.<clinit>(Unknown Source) at
    java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at
    java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247) at
    clojure.lang.RT.loadClassForName(RT.java:2030) at
    clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:417) at
    clojure.lang.RT.load(RT.java:398) at
    clojure.core$load$fn__4610.invoke(core.clj:5386) at
    clojure.core$load.doInvoke(core.clj:5385) at
    clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:408) at
    clojure.core$load_one.invoke(core.clj:5200) at
    clojure.core$load_lib.doInvoke(core.clj:5237) at
    clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:142) at
    clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602) at
    clojure.core$load_libs.doInvoke(core.clj:5271) at
    clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:137) at
    clojure.core$apply.invoke(core.clj:602) at
    clojure.core$require.doInvoke(core.clj:5352) at
    clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:457) at
    drift.builder$eval11$loading__4505__auto____12.invoke(builder.clj:1)
    at drift.builder$eval11.invoke(builder.clj:1)
    at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:6465) ... 53 more

    Drift is a Rails like migration library for Clojure.
    I've recently released version 1.4.0 of Drift which includes:
    A new Java interface. You can now run Drift migrations, find
    out the database version, or determine the highest migration
    number from java.
    User generated migration numbers and time stamp migration
    numbers. You can now create your own migration number generator
    or use one of the ones included with Drift. By default, Drift
    will now create the migration number from the current time. You
    can still use the old incremental migration number generator if
    you want.
    You can find the code for Drift on Github:
    http://github.com/macourtney/drift
    Drift on Clojars:http://clojars.org/drift
  • Chris Perkins at Nov 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm
    My guess would be a clojure version mismatch, based on the stacktrace.
    Have you tried changing your project to use clojure 1.2.1?

    - Chris

  • Edmund at Nov 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm
    Bingo! Thanks for that, version 1.3.0 incompatibility it is.